Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Blackhorn 209

Old 03-24-2015, 06:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good luck getting on a range. All ours are closed because of the road conditions. Still to much frost deep, which creates nothing but mud. They don't want the roads tore up.....
Old 03-24-2015, 06:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bald Mountain has been open for weeks. Closed on Tuesday (today).

It was an icy, lake swamp where we place/ pull targets at 25-50 and 100 yards two weeks ago. But now its dried-up and good-to-go.

Wanting to get there tomorrow. Hopefully the forecasted rain moves out. I need to shoot the wife's 22 long Smith & Wesson pistol again. It was not ejecting well last time and I suspect dry action / dry magazine was the cause.

I ordered her new bullets (CCI Stingers 32's). Her short supply of Mini-Mags in the safe must be nearly 20 years old.
Old 03-24-2015, 07:09 AM
Spike

Okay, I read where blackhorn 209 needs a hotter primer, I have remington STS primers, will those work or do I need a hotter primer?
Old 03-24-2015, 07:22 AM
Fork Horn

14" high shocked me, thus I thought I would share. I will concur that recoil is noticeably "sharper".

Can't speak on the STS primers, but I know a "hot" primer is recommended. I've never had a failure to fire (FTF) with the FED 209A or CCI Mag. Currently using the FED 209A as that is all that was in stock a couple years ago.

If you have not done so already, run a search for Blackhorn 209. Great information on this forum and others about using a drill bit for cleaning the breechplug, first shot accuracy, loads, etc... Make sure to report back and let us know the details. I was not overly pleased with this past season's kill in terms of bullet preformance and may be looking to make a change.

Last edited by Kathwacckkk; 03-24-2015 at 07:25 AM.
Old 03-24-2015, 02:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ohiohunter76
Okay, I read where blackhorn 209 needs a hotter primer, I have remington STS primers, will those work or do I need a hotter primer?
If the STS is for your T/C Bone Collector, you should be OK. I believe the Remington STS are considered at least mid-level in strength.
Old 03-24-2015, 03:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Triple Se7en
If the STS is for your T/C Bone Collector, you should be OK. I believe the Remington STS are considered at least mid-level in strength.
Shotgun Primers

Winchester 209ML ........................221 f.p.s.
Winchester 209 Triple Seven ML......244 f.p.s.
Remington 209 Kleanbore ML .........318 f.p.s.
Std. Winchester No. W209A ...........336 f.p.s.
Remington STS.............................338 f.p.s.
Std. Remington No. 209 ................341 f.p.s.
Cheddite No. 209 .........................347 f.p.s.
CCI 209M.....................................379 f.p.s.
Federal No. 209A ..........................381 f.p.s.

Rifle/Pistol Primers

Winchester WSP "Small Pistol" ….......116 f.p.s.
Winchester WSR "Small Rifle" ..........143 f.p.s
Old 03-24-2015, 05:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have used STS primers in my Omega and Knight LRH and they have always made BH 209 go boom.

My elk load is 90-95 gr of BH 209 (by volume)

Just because a load hits higher doesn't mean it is stronger. I have been using one powder and even though I lowered the amount of the powder 5 gr (by volume), the POI went up. Has to do with the harmonics of your barrel.
Old 03-24-2015, 05:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by txhunter58
I have used STS primers in my Omega and Knight LRH and they have always made BH 209 go boom.

My elk load is 90-95 gr of BH 209 (by volume)

Just because a load hits higher doesn't mean it is stronger. I have been using one powder and even though I lowered the amount of the powder 5 gr (by volume), the POI went up. Has to do with the harmonics of your barrel.
I am really glad you mentioned Barrel Harmonics it really can cause the effect seen. Undoubtedly the was a greater velocity created but I highly doubt it would equal 14" of lift.

Where BH really shows a velocity improvement is with heavier bullets. Because BH is progressive burning the heavier bullet will actually make the powder burn more efficiently, never creating the peak pressure of T7 but in the end creating pressure longer.

This is a table I worked on several years ago with the comparison of T7 powder and BH

This table shows the pressure curves of the different powders.

Old 03-24-2015, 05:41 PM
Spike

Interesting conversation and good info! I am using Remington STS primers and it lit off a charge of Blackhorn at 5 degrees Fahrenheit perfectly.
Old 03-24-2015, 07:57 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks to Sabotloader for a very informative chart. Your results are very comparable to the data found on the Blackhorn and Harvester web sites. Harvester has comparative data for a couple of their bullets and several powders. I've been shooting BH 209 since it was introduced and have tried a wide range of bullets, sabots and primers with various amounts of BH 209. Like many others I learned that 105 to 110 grs. of BH209(by vol) produced the most accurate loads. I now weight all my loads and use 77gr (110gr by vol). Until this year I used either CCI 209M or Federal 209A primers in my 3 Knights. With both, I had a lot of blow back that caused the primers to stick in the bolt. Based on a lot of good comments on this and other Blogs I switched mid season to Winchester's regular 209 primers. Problem solved. No more blow back or sticking primers. I also switched from a Hornady 300 gr SST with it's yellow EZ Load sabot to a 300 gr Harvester PT Gold bullet and their Black Crush Rib sabot. Great decision, if I do say so myself. Nine one shot kills on a variety of animals at my W. Texas lease, including a 275 lb Aoudad ram, a 19 Pt Whitetail buck and other exotics(Axis,Fallow etc) all low fence.
Notwithstanding all the info out there, the only way to get the "right" load for your gun is to take it all to the range and shoot, shoot and shoot some more until you have the "right" load for your rifle and your targeted animal. Enjoy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.