Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Lyman Plainsman

Old 03-07-2015, 05:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

I seem to vaguely remember a Plainsman too, but wasn't sure. Not that it matters too much to his question about a load. Just curious.
Old 03-07-2015, 06:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

The only two "Plainsman" I can find on the internet are from Pedersoli and CVA.
Old 03-07-2015, 05:59 PM
Spike

The early Lymans were called Plains Rifle as per Backpowdersmoke's first picture. The one have was made in 1977.
Old 03-08-2015, 07:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by stude 283
The early Lymans were called Plains Rifle as per Backpowdersmoke's first picture. The one have was made in 1977.
stude283,

I never meant for anyone to think that there was a rifle called the "Plainsman" made by Lyman... but I knew there was somewhat of a Hawken style they put out that they did not call a Hawken, and I'm thinking it was the first pic I posted as you say. Waiting to hear from Mojotex on which one he has...

BPS
Old 03-08-2015, 07:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I seem to vaguely remember a Plainsman too, but wasn't sure. Not that it matters too much to his question about a load. Just curious.
Muley,

Once we know what he has, I'm sure we'll all jump in on what he needs to know. We already know it's a round ball twist barrel, but it would be nice to know (for our sake, and his) what rifle he has and what ignition it is.

BPS
Old 03-12-2015, 09:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry guys that I have not replied to the questioning. Been in the woods past few days doing some post deer season scouting and pre turkey season scouting as well. I hunt SE Alabama. I cannot believe the number of freshly worked scrapes I came across.

I pull out the rifle tonight and see if I can come up with the info you all have been asking about.
Old 03-12-2015, 08:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Mojotex
Sorry guys that I have not replied to the questioning. Been in the woods past few days doing some post deer season scouting and pre turkey season scouting as well. I hunt SE Alabama. I cannot believe the number of freshly worked scrapes I came across.

I pull out the rifle tonight and see if I can come up with the info you all have been asking about.
PLEASE... post a picture of it if you can.

BPS
Old 03-13-2015, 04:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Its a Lyman "Great Plains Rifle 54". Made in Italy with S/N - - 0119. It is a cap lock, has and double set trigger. Stock has a nice cheek rest, with a steel butt plate. Showing my ignorance ..... I don't know the style of the iron sight. I like it but .... rear sight looks sort of like a fat cow-horn with a vertical slot in the center. I tried attaching a photo but got an error message that said I was using up too much text .... something like half million ??? Looked like line after line of code .... gobblety-gook. Anyone interested in a photos , e-mail me and I'll try sending them that way. Seems to me to be in very good shape.

So .... there is all I know about it.

Last edited by Mojotex; 03-13-2015 at 04:43 PM.
Old 03-13-2015, 05:20 PM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by Mojotex
Its a Lyman "Great Plains Rifle 54". Made in Italy with S/N - - 0119. It is a cap lock, has and double set trigger. Stock has a nice cheek rest, with a steel butt plate. Showing my ignorance ..... I don't know the style of the iron sight. I like it but .... rear sight looks sort of like a fat cow-horn with a vertical slot in the center. I tried attaching a photo but got an error message that said I was using up too much text .... something like half million ??? Looked like line after line of code .... gobblety-gook. Anyone interested in a photos , e-mail me and I'll try sending them that way. Seems to me to be in very good shape.

So .... there is all I know about it.
That's what I thought . Made in 1979 by lyman(invest arms) a great rifle , it is a 1:66 twist then later they switched to a 1:60 twist . A really good gun for sure

Old 03-14-2015, 05:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

There may be a square on the barrel that has two letters in it, the first will be an "A"(at least in mine) the second letter indicates the year it was made. Mine was made in the 1980's and has "AN" in the square. I am sure that someone has that list of letters and the dates that go with them.

I like my .50 cal. Investarm Hawken better then the T/C model. It has better wood and is finished very well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.