Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Testing the new Lehigh 40x200 Xtreme Penetrator >

Testing the new Lehigh 40x200 Xtreme Penetrator

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Testing the new Lehigh 40x200 Xtreme Penetrator

Old 02-27-2015, 09:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Thanks for the report Sabot. That is some very good shooting and that bullet looks "nasty". I'm not sure how the expansion on this bullet would be. I'd really like to see that at a couple different velocities.
Although I never hit the shoulder, the deer I have taken with a .40 cal 200 gr XTP have all been pass throughs so I'm not sure these would provide any additional benefit to me.
Bronco there is not expansion at all or of any very little. The destruction occurs when the bullet passes through and it creates 'cavitation' sort of like a propeller turning in water. The cavities collect fluid and then direct it out, up, and in a rotational turn. This cavitation causes the fluid to rips and tear and tear organs.

The bullet cavitation will function down to 800 fps. Because of this reduced loaded loads will work especially for the younger people and people that prefer a light recoiling fully functional bullet, but yet is strong enough to punch through the bone mass of an animal if you might hit a major bone.

The other day when I was shooting it with reduced loads - 90 gr. and on down seemed less recoil than shooting my 222 or 22-250 - yet the bullet would function (within a given range) much like it were shooting it with 120 grains.

Of all the Hornady's that I have shot from a ML or Rifle the 200XTP might be the most reliable. Even in torture testing I many less failures with it than any other Hornady - excluding their monlitics or bonded bullets.
Old 02-27-2015, 12:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

The testing seems to indicate a great disruption through liquid which in turn can cause great devastation. The outstanding question in my mind is around the performance when minimal liquid in contacted.

Say for instance you punch both shoulders. While you can go through some lung, it's not the clean 'both lungs and heart' shot. If the bullet doesn't expand at all, how would the results compare to a traditional mushrooming bullet.
Old 02-27-2015, 03:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by TNHagies
The testing seems to indicate a great disruption through liquid which in turn can cause great devastation. The outstanding question in my mind is around the performance when minimal liquid in contacted.

Say for instance you punch both shoulders. While you can go through some lung, it's not the clean 'both lungs and heart' shot. If the bullet doesn't expand at all, how would the results compare to a traditional mushrooming bullet.
The bullet does make a decent wound channel while it is passing through an it still cuts a 1.5" permanent wound channel.

Last edited by sabotloader; 02-27-2015 at 06:25 PM.
Old 03-02-2015, 01:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
That's my thinking also. At 65 yards a .40/200 XTP over 85 grains GOEX blew through the chest of a 110 lb. doe, spraying blood and lung matter on a bush ten feet behind her. That's pretty much all I need a bullet to do.
That's kind of what I was thinking as well. I mostly use the 200 grain SST now, which penetrates even better than the 200 XTP. Expansion/tissue damage is great too. Even when loaded down to 80 grains T7 it still does awesome with little recoil. Not bashing the Lehighs - I used the 185 grain CF bullets a few times with awesome results - just don't see what this bullet will do apart from the options I already have...

Accuracy seems to be awesome though, nice post!

Last edited by oldsmellhound; 03-02-2015 at 01:55 PM.
Old 03-02-2015, 03:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

When purchasing some 200 grain 40-cal in early January, I avoided the XTP and went with the SST because Hornady only rated the 200 gr XTP velocity range at 700-1200 fps.
Old 03-02-2015, 04:17 PM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by oldsmellhound
just don't see what this bullet will do apart from the options I already have...

!
Probably not much . My big lead conicals can do all that i need done but its kind of nice to have more options . The more options the better in my book .