Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Making a change!!

Old 02-10-2015, 06:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking Making a change!!

Last week I sent my 50cal Lyman DeerStalker Flintlock out to a guy in Ohio to make a custom 45 1/20 barrel for it. His barrels are a special steel just for muzzleloaders. When it comes back I will shoot and test it out then send it to the local Gunsmith and have it duracoated instead of blued. But when done it actually looks like its blued.

This barrel will come back with sights and ready to use. This way I can if needed use my 50cal barrel as well.

The reason for doing this is to be able to use premium bullets. I know cheap bullets work ecspecially when you hit the right spot. I just never seem to make the perfect shot. That's why I prefer using better bullets.

It should be back in about 6 weeks, I cant wait to shoot it.
Old 02-10-2015, 06:55 AM
Dominant Buck

That sounds like a great project. I will be looking forward to your range results.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Grouse45
Last week I sent my 50cal Lyman DeerStalker Flintlock out to a guy in Ohio to make a custom 45 1/20 barrel for it. His barrels are a special steel just for muzzleloaders. When it comes back I will shoot and test it out then send it to the local Gunsmith and have it duracoated instead of blued. But when done it actually looks like its blued.

This barrel will come back with sights and ready to use. This way I can if needed use my 50cal barrel as well.

The reason for doing this is to be able to use premium bullets. I know cheap bullets work ecspecially when you hit the right spot. I just never seem to make the perfect shot. That's why I prefer using better bullets.

It should be back in about 6 weeks, I cant wait to shoot it.
Can this barrelsmith do the opposite?
Can he take a typical 50-cal T/C or Knight barrel and turn it into a 1:66 roundball shooter?
Old 02-10-2015, 10:51 AM
Dominant Buck

How does he do that change? Do they re bore the barrel after they fill it? I can understand going larger, but smaller? Very interesting.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:52 AM
Typical Buck

I hope you shoot it before you get it coated so we get your range report sooner. GRIN

I'm looking to do the same thing, primarily to use the 45cal bullets I cast for my White ML's and if need be to try some 40 cal Barnes bullets with Sabots.

Ed
Old 02-10-2015, 03:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Triple Se7en
Can he take a typical 50-cal T/C or Knight barrel and turn it into a 1:66 roundball shooter?
Triple Se7en...

Maybe if he does barrel sleeving... that's the only way I can see keeping the same size bore and completely changing the rifle's twist without screwing it up.

You might better have him make you a 1:66 twist barrel and keep your old one like Grouse45 is doing.

BPS
Old 02-10-2015, 04:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

As I understand what you wrote you will have two barrels and the 45-1-20 will be Duracoated. Could you tell us a bit more about the Duracoat I do not believe I have seen one.
Old 02-10-2015, 04:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can get a new T/C Impact on sale sometime this year for about $229. Then give the entirely new ML to the barrelsmith for sleeving.

Then it comes back to me as a brand new 1:66 twist inline. I really don't care if the barrelsmith keeps it at 50-cal, or must reduce it to 45-caliber.

I'm getting excited just thinking about having a break-action, open breech, roundball shooter.

Last edited by Triple Se7en; 02-10-2015 at 04:45 PM.
Old 02-10-2015, 05:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Triple Se7en
Sounds difficult!!! But I guess it's possible. To answer your question I don't know.
Old 02-10-2015, 05:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by lemoyne
As I understand what you wrote you will have two barrels and the 45-1-20 will be Duracoated. Could you tell us a bit more about the Duracoat I do not believe I have seen one.
It's on my primary inline, and also on my Flintlock. I love the stuff and I believe it's much better then anything on the market like black ice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.