Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
QRBP  Repair Busta' way >

QRBP Repair Busta' way

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

QRBP Repair Busta' way

Old 01-29-2015, 10:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default QRBP Repair Busta' way

Umm... yesterday i dropped the breech plug. It hit perfectly on the big round ; i thought all was good... but then it bounced, rotated, and hit on the thin rim, bounced, and hit on the rim again. What i was doing, was trying to avoid using a solvent to clean the plug, since i have been coughing because of some malady. A small piece of scotch brite pad was chucked in a drill motor, and holding the plug in one hand, and the motor in the other, i commenced. It didn't take long, and the plug took a trip from my fingers to the floor.

Not long ago Busta noticed a QRBP i had modified, was leaking around the end, and suggested i use a bolt to open up the rim, and refit it to the rifle. It was done, and it was an improvement. The bolt i used had a tiny bit of thread on the nose, so i put it to the grinder a tad.

Then the bolt and the plug were squoze some in the vice.

Then the plug had to be remarried to the rifle, but the fitment mortice was filled, so a pipe wrench was used.

Then for some assistance against leakage, i wrapped the end of the plug with one wrap of teflon tape.

The single wrap of tape didn't impede my abilitly to install, and remove the plug using just fingers. After 9 shots, here is what the plug looks like...

Old 01-29-2015, 12:08 PM
Fork Horn

What size was the Bolt
Old 01-29-2015, 12:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

5/8 - 18..
Old 01-29-2015, 01:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe you should start selling them BP repair kits....
Old 01-29-2015, 03:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice little bit of MacGyverism there Ron! Congrats!

BPS
Old 01-29-2015, 04:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Busta is the one that figured out this trick not me. Thanking you for Busta, and i believe he would understand your reference as do i; wonder if the younger shooters do?