Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
GPR-I hate this stock!!!!!!!! >

GPR-I hate this stock!!!!!!!!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

GPR-I hate this stock!!!!!!!!

Old 01-28-2015, 10:38 PM
Typical Buck

Default GPR-I hate this stock!!!!!!!!

I am really thinking of trimming it off to be like a regular rifle stock.
PROS: Its pretty?
CONS: The half moon on the rear can hurt you if you try to take a quick shot.
The rear of the stock,in very cold weather,like we have here in Pa. muzzle loader season,has to fit over a pretty heavey bunch of material on the coat sleeve. It takes some adjusting to get it to where it can be held and shot!

My first thought is to sell it? But,no one wants to even give me near its value! I only shot it 5 times and the stock caused me to say no more!
Next thought is to try and make a wood filler block for half moon cut out or a recoil pad. The steel butt plate has to go though!
Last,cut the stock off then make a pad!
Old 01-29-2015, 01:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Or, you can practice with it more and learn how to properly mount the gun.......

I would think mounting man would know how to mount a gun....
Old 01-29-2015, 02:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, that style stock is definitely different. You have to place it off your shoulder, not where you are probably used to holding. Probably once you get used to it you'll be fine.
Old 01-29-2015, 02:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Or get a stock blank and make it how you want for hunting and save the original stock.

Al
Old 01-29-2015, 05:19 AM
1874sharpsshooter

Having used that stock for 34 years I have the opposite opinion . I love it . It's great if used as intended . Not only great for off hand shooting but less felt recoil as the arm moves backward with the shove so the recoil is less noticeable then if you have a gun up against the shoulder . If you ever do forget and put a crescent buttplate up to the shoulder you won't soon forget that experience .

Old 01-29-2015, 05:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by nchawkeye
or, you can practice with it more and learn how to properly mount the gun.......

I would think mounting man would know how to mount a gun....
+1

Old 01-29-2015, 05:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Use a sling when transporting it. Lay it on your lap when seated. Buy a slip-on recoil pad for it too. It may not make it a genuine olden days looker. But it will help stop what ails you physically.

I did it. But I made sure to remove it, when selling the ML Hawkens-style to a dealer.

If you like admire the ML, you can fix it to satisfy you. It just may not appease the traditionalists around you. Really, I don't care to appease anyone but myself, when holding and using my ML.

Last edited by Triple Se7en; 01-29-2015 at 05:36 AM.
Old 01-29-2015, 05:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

The GPR stock is very comfortable to shoot. You need to stand 90 degrees to the target, and the gun is mounted across the body in the pocket between the shoulder and bicep.

If you mount it like a modern gun it will hurt.
Old 01-29-2015, 06:09 AM
Dominant Buck

I know what you're saying. I have two of them and it took some time to "learn" to get it off my shoulder. But once you have it, and practice with it... its actually comfortable.

If you dislike it that much might I suggest sell it and get a Lyman Trade Rifle instead. Or as suggested. A large rubber butt stock cover could be installed and then that would solve the problem. Although I would lengthen the LOP.

If you were to cut the "horns" off, you could add a new back plate of some kind. It might not look to bad and be what you want.
Old 01-29-2015, 06:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hear what you are saying my GPR has become a safe queen for the same reasons.

If learning to shoot with that style of stock is a non-starter because of the clothes you have to wear you might want to take a look at Jaeger rifles. Jaeger's are shorter than Kentucky/Pennsylvania rifles so they are easy to hunt with. And most importantly for you the Jaeger has a flat chunky butt. Nothing against the GPR but after buying a Jaeger I never wanted to shoot a crescent stocked rifle again.

Here is a pic of a Jaeger from ToW:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.