Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Leupold CDS Dial issue >

Leupold CDS Dial issue

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Leupold CDS Dial issue

Old 01-23-2015, 05:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

The custom engraved dial has ball stops that allow it to turn 1 revolution. One revolution is 15 moa on that scope? The OP has 6 moa right now. What is needed to fully utilize the custom dial is 9 moa. This 9 moa can be provided by a beer can under the rear of his mount, or the zee rings using the off set inserts, or a 10 moa base.

It makes sense that Big Z likes the Zee rings.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:31 AM
Fork Horn

Sorry I spent so much time getting back.

I spent some time talking with two different Techs at Leupold.

They ran me through a series of test and determined that the scope is functioning and responding correctly. It does seem to be a mounting issue.

I have several options. These are the two I am leaning towards. I really do not want to get away from the DNZ mounting system as I like the one piece construction. It looks like the most rock solid scope mount I have ever used.
Here are the options I am leaning towards.

1. Shim the rear of the base so I can get more elevation travel.

2. Keep it the way it is. When I run it up to 3 MIn I am around 4 inches high at 10O yards. With that I should be close to dead on at 150 and just need a mild hold over at 200 yards.

I know 1. would get me where I intended to go with this scope. 2. would work for almost 95% of my hunting situations.

I think I will shoot it some more and see where I stand with it. I bought two of these scopes at the same time because they are by far everything I ever wanted in a scope and then some. I may put the other on another project I am working on. Something I can put a 20 MOA base on and get the full ran
Old 01-26-2015, 10:32 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
The custom engraved dial has ball stops that allow it to turn 1 revolution. One revolution is 15 moa on that scope? The OP has 6 moa right now. What is needed to fully utilize the custom dial is 9 moa. This 9 moa can be provided by a beer can under the rear of his mount, or the zee rings using the off set inserts, or a 10 moa base.

It makes sense that Big Z likes the Zee rings.
Beer can shim under the Rear base is exactly what the experts at leupold told me.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by miketodd58
Beer can shim under the Rear base is exactly what the experts at leupold told me.
Was that after they suggested that you purchase Leupold mounts and rings?

It was evident that it was related to your mounting system. With a scope that has a total 60 moa range, unless a receiver or frame is bad, its the mount.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:05 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by BarnesAddict

It was evident that it was related to your mounting system. With a scope that has a total 60 moa range, unless a receiver or frame is bad, its the mount.

It never came up in the conversation about purchasing Leupold mounts or rings. He was just trying to identify my problem and find me a solution.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:11 AM
Fork Horn

I had to move the scope up significatly to get it to bore site not sure how many clicks that was. . Then it was still shooting 6 inches low at 50 yards. I had to click it up something like 40 ISH clicks to get it to zero. Then at 100 yards I had to bring it down 4 clicks if memory serves. . So right there I had lost a good 20 MOA or better.

On a conventional scope I would never question it. Just dial it in and leave it alone. I have some Leupolds VARIX III that are going on 30+ years old that have NEVER had to be adjusted unless I changed bullet selection or load data.

Ive only had two scopes in my day that were dialers. All the rest of them have been fixed and done pretty well by me. I sometimes wonder if I am over thinking my issues.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

The VX-6 on my rifle was pretty close at 100yds when it was mounted. but I sure do like the CDS dial. I set the zero at 200yds, then just turn the dial for any range beyond or closer and shoot. I just don't like multiple reticle scopes.
Old 01-26-2015, 02:26 PM
Fork Horn

The VX-6 on my rifle was pretty close at 100yds when it was mounted. but I sure do like the CDS dial. I set the zero at 200yds, then just turn the dial for any range beyond or closer and shoot. I just don't like multiple reticle scopes.

Do you or anyone know how many equivelent MILs or clicks there are between the intersection point and the thicker cross hair below?

Ive used this before for long range shooting. Just line the bottom cross hair intersection on the target and send it.