Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
BH209 Fouling for 1st shot accuracy--report and ?? >

BH209 Fouling for 1st shot accuracy--report and ??

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

BH209 Fouling for 1st shot accuracy--report and ??

Old 01-15-2015, 08:40 AM
Fork Horn

Default BH209 Fouling for 1st shot accuracy--report and ??

I've seen several posts here concerning the issue of 1st shot accuracy with BH209. I finally got out in the desert yesterday to try out Ron's mod to my CVA Optima Pro plug and switch from 777 to BH209. Well, here's how it went. Before going, I cleaned all oil out of the bore with a couple of 90% alcohol patches followed by dry patches. At 100 yards, the first shot was about 6" lower than my eventual group and about 4" right (I probably pulled it right). Next shot was 2.5" low and fairly centered. Four additional shots were in a 1.5" group right where I want them. I've seen this great post http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/blac...irst-shot.html by Ron where he shot 3 209 primers on a clean barrel and that was good enough for first shot accuracy, but my experience was that I needed two actual BH209 shots before accuracy got consistent--third and on were really good! I haven't tried the primer(s) test yet--when I got home, I just ran a couple of dry patches down the barrel, and I'm leaving it 'til my javelina hunt 1st part of January. Bullets were 300 gr. Nosler Partition .451 with Harvester sabots.

What are you all doing for BH209 first shot accuracy in real world hunting situations?
Old 01-15-2015, 09:31 AM
Fork Horn

I clean between every shot using hoppe's elite gun cleaner solvent and slip 2000 gun lube. I take 1 solvent patch both sides to the bore, then I use one clean patch, save this patch, then I take a lube patch and then turn over the patch I saved and put it down the bore. Now I load and shoot. I adjust my scope with 3 shot groups cleaning as described.
When I get home I fully clean my gun with hoppe's and slip 2000 then I put my gun in the safe. Next time I get my gun out of the safe I run one dry patch down the barrel I do not clean the oil out of the barrel and load and shoot, the 1st shot will be spot on and the next 2 shots without cleaning (simulating a hunting situation) will be within 1 1/2" of the first. More than enough for a follow up shot.
When cleaning between shots and after putting the chemicals on the patch, squeeze the patch between your fingers, if you squeeze out 1 drop of chemical you are using too much on the patch.
Also when cleaning between shots as described your groups will be noticeably tighter.

The reason I use slip 2000 is it has a temp range of -130 to +1250 deg F. It is also a synthetic oil and will not react with powder, as it is dry to the touch. (slip2000.com) It also drives moisture out of the bore.

Also since I do not foul my gun in any manner I can leave it loaded longer and my barrel is protected with the lube.

Last edited by d.winsor; 01-15-2015 at 12:25 PM.
Old 01-15-2015, 09:54 AM
Dominant Buck

I have also found with my Optima that accuracy really gets "tight" around shot #3. Before #3 its anyone's guess. I also clean all the oil out and then pop three to four primers before loading for the range.

I will add the first two are not all that far out of the group. I also do not swab.
Old 01-15-2015, 10:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by d.winsor
I clean between every shot using hoppe's elite gun cleaner solvent and slip 2000 gun lube. I take 1 solvent patch both sides to the bore, then I use one clean patch, save this patch, then I take a lube patch and then turn over the patch I saved and put it down the bore. Now I load and shoot. I adjust my scope with 3 shot groups cleaning as described.
When I get home I fully clean my gun with hoppe's and slip 2000 then I put my gun in the safe. Next time I get my gun out of the safe I run one dry patch down the barrel I do not clean the oil out of the barrel and load and shoot, the 1st shot will be spot on and the next 2 shots without cleaning (simulating a hunting situation) will be within 1 1/2" of the first. More than enough for a follow up shot.
When cleaning between shots and after putting the chemicals on the patch, squeeze the patch between your fingers, if you squeeze out 1 drop of chemical you are using too much on the patch.
Also when cleaning between shots as described your groups will be noticeably tighter.

The reason I use slip 2000 is it has a temp range of -130 to +1250 deg F. It is also a synthetic oil and will not react with powder or fouling. (slip2000.com) It also drives moisture out of the bore.

Also since I do not foul my gun in any manner I can leave it loaded longer and my barrel is protected with the lube.
Sounds like that works for you, but I would never use an oil based cleaner and an oil lubricant before I loaded up for a hunt. Too scared they would soak into the powder or become caked in the breechplug before a shot at game. I can see where at the range this would be OK because you shot again immediately, but I want zero oil in my barrel/breech area when I load for a hunt.

I generally shoot within a few days of hunting and just load up at the end of the last range session. Then I don't clean until after the hunt.

If you can't skip swabbing with BH 209 between shots at the range it is just another overpriced sub powder. I can get just as good of accuracy at a cheaper price and easier cleanup with 777

I do clean the rifle if I am not going hunting again in the next 10-14 days. For cleaning I use Hoppes, then fininish with a patch of Montana extreme (lightly soaked).

For shooting from a clean barrel, I swab out with alcohol, then pop 2-3 caps, but haven't found this to totally eliminates the need to foul the barrel with BH 209. Although it hits within a couple of inches so I think it helps
Old 01-15-2015, 12:02 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by txhunter58
Sounds like that works for you, but I would never use an oil based cleaner and an oil lubricant before I loaded up for a hunt. Too scared they would soak into the powder or become caked in the breechplug before a shot at game. I can see where at the range this would be OK because you shot again immediately, but I want zero oil in my barrel/breech area when I load for a hunt.

I generally shoot within a few days of hunting and just load up at the end of the last range session. Then I don't clean until after the hunt.

If you can't skip swabbing with BH 209 between shots at the range it is just another overpriced sub powder. I can get just as good of accuracy at a cheaper price and easier cleanup with 777

I do clean the rifle if I am not going hunting again in the next 10-14 days. For cleaning I use Hoppes, then fininish with a patch of Montana extreme (lightly soaked).

For shooting from a clean barrel, I swab out with alcohol, then pop 2-3 caps, but haven't found this to totally eliminates the need to foul the barrel with BH 209. Although it hits within a couple of inches so I think it helps
I don't think it is oil based, check it out at slip2000.com. Besides if the lube soakes into your powder you are using too much of it, slip 2000 is dry to the touch if applied right.
Old 01-15-2015, 12:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

All my Encore platform rifles, they always required two fouling shots. Its just the way it was.............
Old 01-15-2015, 02:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hoppes elite cleaner is definately oil based, and slick2000s description calls it a synthetic lubricant. Sounds like synthetic oil to me.

However, that aside, I like the fact that BH 209 is not nearly as corrosive as 777, but since you clean up immediately anyway, 777 would clean up easier and be no more corrosive. I have a 15 year old sidelock that has only had pyrodex and 777 through it and it is rust free. I clean 777 with water, dry it out and apply Montana extreme. I suspect Montan extreme and slick2000 are similar.

Last edited by txhunter58; 01-15-2015 at 02:23 PM.
Old 01-15-2015, 02:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

Slip 2000. Montana X-Treme Bore Conditioner, and Ezzox are all synthetic and NO Teflon. Both Slip and Montana X-Treme are excellent products. I have never used Ezzox. And today I use Montana as my first choice.
Old 01-15-2015, 02:39 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by txhunter58
Hoppes elite cleaner is definately oil based, and slick2000s description calls it a synthetic lubricant. Sounds like synthetic oil to me.

However, that aside, I like the fact that BH 209 is not nearly as corrosive as 777, but since you clean up immediately anyway, 777 would clean up easier and be no more corrosive. I have a 15 year old sidelock that has only had pyrodex and 777 through it and it is rust free. I clean 777 with water, dry it out and apply Montana extreme. I suspect Montan extreme and slick2000 are similar.
I called Hoppe's about Elite gun cleaner and I don't think it is oil based it has the texture of water.
Old 01-15-2015, 03:54 PM
Fork Horn

Over the past several years using BH 209 I have always cleaned my rifles(3 Knights with bare primer breech plugs) after each range session using Hoppes Elite and a drilll bit to clean out the carbon from the flame channel. I finish by running a patch with a very small amount of Montana gun oil through the barrel before installing the breech plug. Before reloading to hunt I pop 3 primers to foul. In the last 3 years doing that I'm yet to miss an animal with my fist shot. I'll have to try that procedure on the range this spring to see if my 1st shot is off.
When hunting, I leave my loaded gun in a case in the truck overnight. I don't swab or clean anything except the exterior of the gun, until I've finished hunting. Twice this year, when I knew I would be back at the lease in a few days, instead of my normal 2 to 3 week interval(its 600 miles from my house) I have just removed the primer and left the gun loaded and have not had any ignition problems with the first shot nor have I failed to connect on an animal. I'll be interested to see the outcome of my range work. I shoot 110 gr of BH 209, 300 gr Harvester PT Gold bullet, black CR sabot and Federal 209A Primer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.