Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
BH209 Fouling for 1st shot accuracy--report and ?? >

BH209 Fouling for 1st shot accuracy--report and ??

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

BH209 Fouling for 1st shot accuracy--report and ??

Old 01-24-2015, 09:32 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Triple Se7en
I have this thing about never dry-patching a dirty bore. On more than one occasion and especially shooting sidehammer MLs, the burnt crusty fouling sometimes falls below the dry patch being run down the bore, blocking necessary spark channels like nipples and breechplug flash-holes.

If I send a dry patch down my bore, that barrel will be clean.
Good point. Maybe use an alcohol patch? But really, with BH209, when you simply reload without patching, aren't we pushing the fouling down into the nether regions of the barrel? Of course, my purpose for patching was to NOT push the fouling down. So I'm thinking fouling would stick to a damp alcohol patch and then dry before re-lubing with Slip 2000.
Old 01-24-2015, 09:37 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by d.winsor
Post back with your results I would be interested in hearing how it worked for you.
I will. Just wish it could be sooner--have to order it and find the time to drive 30 miles out in the desert.
Old 01-24-2015, 11:51 AM
Fork Horn

just be sure not to use too much slip 2000 on your patch, be sure to dry patch after you coat your bore with slip 2000, before loading for the next shot.

When you clean your gun at home wait 10 min before dry patching the bore. That allows slip 2000 to get into the pours of the metal. Next time you clean your gun it will be easier.

Last edited by d.winsor; 01-24-2015 at 11:53 AM.
Old 01-24-2015, 11:56 AM
Fork Horn

just be sure not to use too much slip 2000 on your patch, be sure to dry patch after you coat your bore with slip 2000. When you clean your gun at home wait 10 min before dry patching the bore. That allows slip 2000 to get into the pours of the metal. Next time you clean your gun it will be easier.
What I was thinking about doing was degrease it first with a couple of alcohol patches then dry patch. Then apply Slip lightly once. Then the following day, apply Slip lightly again. Leave until I'm ready to go shooting and dry patch right before shooting. How does that sound?
Old 01-24-2015, 01:05 PM
Fork Horn

I guess it sounds ok, though I have never used alcohol just hoppe's elite gun cleaner. Make sure you don't get too much slip 2000 in your bore, if you think you do store it barrel down so lubricant will run out of barrel and not into your breech plug. Using slip 2000 is like seasoning a frying pan, the more you use it the better it will be. Also it only takes a little bit!
Old 01-24-2015, 01:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks Ron for the information..
Old 01-24-2015, 02:23 PM
Fork Horn

I guess it sounds ok, though I have never used alcohol just hoppe's elite gun cleaner. Make sure you don't get too much slip 2000 in your bore, if you think you do store it barrel down so lubricant will run out of barrel and not into your breech plug. Using slip 2000 is like seasoning a frying pan, the more you use it the better it will be. Also it only takes a little bit!
I just broke down and ordered both Slip and Hoppes Elite--needed to get my Amazon order up to the free shipping level--and I might as well come entirely into the 21st century. I've been using #9, and my wife is tired of the smell, too; so I think this is a good switch.
Old 01-24-2015, 02:29 PM
Fork Horn

Take my work for it, you won't be sorry. Before long you'll be cleaning all your guns with that set up. If you have any questions about using slip 2000 call them or send an e-mail, they are good to deal with.

Last edited by d.winsor; 01-24-2015 at 02:37 PM.