Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
BH209 Fouling for 1st shot accuracy--report and ?? >

BH209 Fouling for 1st shot accuracy--report and ??

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

BH209 Fouling for 1st shot accuracy--report and ??

Old 01-17-2015, 04:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use Schuetzen and Goex real blackpowder and this ritual below is what I have planned.

We hunt State Land and it's everywhere in Northern Lower Michigan. I shoot my ML after every morning and evening hunt, at least one mile away from where we are hunting that particular day. This spring I will be testing three bore products at the range, for 1st and 2nd shot comparisons.

I will insert a light amount of (1) of three products listed below inside my bore, after the storage oil is removed with alcohol. I will then use both sides of a dry patch inside the bore and fire three primers.

I will load the ML rifle as usual and after the 1st shot, I will conduct two tests. First test will be shooting the 2nd shot without swabbing. The 2nd test will be shooting the 2nd shot after running a lightly moistened and both sides of a dry patch of one of these three products below.

http://mrflintlock.com/index.php?route=common/home Mr. Flintlock Bore Cleaner and Lube

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/561...t-67-oz-liquid Shenandoah Bore Cleaner and Lube

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...-LUBED+PATCHES (Traditions 2-1/2" round pre-lubed bore butter patches)

After range work and/or hunting, all of these three products gets removed - the rifle is thoroughly cleaned and OILED with a high quality synthetic gun oil for storage purposes. The purpose of these tests this spring is achieving respectable 1st and 2nd shot consistency. In the past I would normally encounter 2-3" differences between 1st and 2nd shots, using a variety of different methods to alleviate it.

Since I fire, swab and clean so often, shooting Blackhorn 209 is not a benefit to me. As a matter-of-fact, I love the softer recoil real blackpowder produces and my shots never exceed 150 yards, which are achievable using real blackpowder.

Last edited by Triple Se7en; 01-17-2015 at 05:14 AM.
Old 01-17-2015, 05:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

BarnesAddict
I agree mine is a Endeavor which is a sort of close relation to the Pro Hunter and in normal usage it put the first two shot high and right. I had to find just the right procedure to get it to be close enough for hunting.
My Endeavor many experiments tried the only one with usable results not good but usable to 150 yds.' for hunting deer is 3-209 before cleaning the oil out and cleaning again then firing 6-209
I wish I could come up with something better it does not put it in the group just useable .
Old 01-20-2015, 10:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Several years ago I spoke to one of the Tech guys at Knight when I got my new Knight rifle. He is/was on the knight Shooting team. He told me to take a regular sized pop bottle with water and run 1 patch just 1 time down and out followed by a dry patch between shots. Nothing more, nothing less. Works like a charm. My groups shrunk by more than half. Nothing to contaminate powder. I have even tried prep pads, works fine, just seems like the sabots are harder to seat afterwards for some reason.
Thats just for range time. When I get home, it gets cleaned like a regular weapon and put up. When I get it back out, I run a dry patch down the barrel, pop a primer or 2, then a fouling shot before loading the hunting charge. Has never failed me and I have left it charged for over 2 months. Left outside in my garage between the split seasons and late season here in Il.

Last edited by SecondChance; 01-20-2015 at 10:31 AM.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:01 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by SecondChance
Several years ago I spoke to one of the Tech guys at Knight when I got my new Knight rifle. He is/was on the knight Shooting team. He told me to take a regular sized pop bottle with water and run 1 patch just 1 time down and out followed by a dry patch between shots. Nothing more, nothing less. Works like a charm. My groups shrunk by more than half. Nothing to contaminate powder. I have even tried prep pads, works fine, just seems like the sabots are harder to seat afterwards for some reason.
Thats just for range time. When I get home, it gets cleaned like a regular weapon and put up. When I get it back out, I run a dry patch down the barrel, pop a primer or 2, then a fouling shot before loading the hunting charge. Has never failed me and I have left it charged for over 2 months. Left outside in my garage between the split seasons and late season here in Il.

So what you are saying is you fire 2 primers and a fouling shot to put your 1st shot in your group.
Old 01-20-2015, 03:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

You fired a fouling shot and left it in the bore for two months?
What powder and how much fouling powder...... about 30 grains?

I use real blackpowder and no way I leave a bore fouled, for more than a day.
Old 01-20-2015, 04:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Me, the only powder i shoot is Blackhorn. No way would i leave my rifle loaded for an extended time after a shot. My first shot whilst hunting will be taken from a clean shiny barrel. The first thing i do after taking a shot at a critter is reload. If i am hunting from home, i fire the load when i leave the hunting area. If i am camping, i leave the rifle loaded for the duration of the trip, maybe, a few days, then discharge the load when i leave for home.

Three of my rifles, or ex rifles, are testament to the fact that burnt Blackhorn residue is caustic, and i do what i can to insure there will not be a fourth..

For those that are concerned about 'that first shot', let me suggest you try shooting your rifle once, then swab with a dry patch once, then load it for hunting. This will remove the loose residue, and thus maybe prevent moisture being absorbed by the residue, combining with the chemicals there, and causing the rust pitting i have experienced. Having never tried such a thing, i really have no idea, if it will help with the issue of 'that first shot'.
Old 01-21-2015, 06:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Triple Se7en
You fired a fouling shot and left it in the bore for two months?
What powder and how much fouling powder...... about 30 grains?

I use real blackpowder and no way I leave a bore fouled, for more than a day.
Yes, I fire 1-2 primers and then a fouling shot. The primers remove any oil residue from the bore/breech plug area. Then I shoot a load of T7, 100grns with some kind of junk bullet. And yes, I leave it in the bore for 2 months. Not a problem to date.

Last edited by SecondChance; 01-21-2015 at 06:25 PM.
Old 01-21-2015, 07:06 PM
Fork Horn

Might I suggest using Slip 2000 gun lube for a lubricant in your gun barrel, You apply it in your bore, let it set 10 min then run a dry patch down your bore. It is dry to the touch after it is applied. you probably would not need the primers and if you are lucky the fouling shot either. read about slip 2000 gun lube here. Slip2000.com
Old 01-21-2015, 08:08 PM
Fork Horn

d.winsor, I read your entire cleaning between shots procedure http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/blac...sistent-3.html
here, and I was wondering why you use Hoppes Elite (Gun Cleaner, I presume) and then Slip 2000, when Slip 2000 lube claims to also clean? Did you ever try just Slip 2000 between shots?
Old 01-22-2015, 03:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good question Don. Slip 2000 claims to remove everything ... copper, plastic, lead, carbon....etc. That product should be the only thing at your range table between shots

But nowhere on it's website does it align itself as being ''CLP'', nor does it use the words ''rust inhibitor''' anywhere.

d. winsor...
Do you work for Slip 2000? That product is inside most of your posts. I do not work for Mr. Flintlock. But that's what will be in my bore, when I fire my first shot at the range using sabots. I will swab with it after every 2nd shot too, then dry patch. I'm hoping for the same relief..... no filers at any time.

Last edited by Triple Se7en; 01-22-2015 at 03:56 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.