Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
sometimes simple and crud beats out overthinking >

sometimes simple and crud beats out overthinking

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

sometimes simple and crud beats out overthinking

Old 12-21-2014, 03:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default sometimes simple and crud beats out overthinking

someone posted on my last thread that about drill and tapping the tang, I over thought the last post greatly.

plan and simple
drill and tap and 1/4 nut to take an 10/32 screw/rod, i soldered it into place. removed the back tang screw, put it into that hole (nice and tight) crud peep sight.

side note, found with the gmb, with a little filing to the screw mount holes and a little bit of crafting foam , an 10/22 base will fit good for a long eye re-leaf scope or a red dot scope.

Old 12-21-2014, 04:04 PM
Typical Buck

There ya' go-ghost ring!
Old 12-21-2014, 04:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

thinking about drilling and retapping the nut and make apertures for it. have to clean up the sight and do some type of finish on it. thinking about powercoating, have the stuff do to it with.
Old 12-21-2014, 05:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

Corey - Not too sure how soldering is going to hold up on a steel nut/bolt. I'm surprised it 'stuck' at all. You may be better of using epoxy on your homemade sight. Spot welding would be even better.
Old 12-21-2014, 05:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

thank your right on that bronko, I could not get the steel hot enough to do that job right. cleaning the nut I damaged the surface. to another. maybe the 3rd time would be the charm
Old 12-22-2014, 12:20 PM
Spike

Corey, I can't think why a solder joint wouldn't hold. Some barrel lugs are soldered on.
If the nut & the bolt are plated, you will need to remove the plating on the mating surfaces. Then rather then trying to solder them together in one operation, tin each of the surfaces separately by first fluxing, then heating each until you can melt on a thin layer of solder on the mating surfaces. Heat each piece so you can melt the solder on by touching it to the hot surface. Do not try to melt the solder with the torch. Properly done, the solder will flow on to the surface & not be a glob that is kind of stuck there. After both surfaces are tinned, they need to be held together so they can be reheated so that the solder on the 2 mating surfaces can melt together. It would be best if I could show a sketch of how to hold them together, but I'll have to try to make due with a short description.
Drill a hole, part way through in a scrap of wood, that the bolt will just fit in to. Bend an eye in the end of a 6" piece of steel wire (coat hanger) that can be used to screw it to that scrap of wood. Bend the wire up & then over so when it is screwed down, it will just rest on top of the head of the bolt with a bit of spring pressure. Now, slip the nut over the end of the wire & adjust everything so the tinned surface of the nut fits evenly on the tinned head of the bolt. Heat both the nut & the bolt & when the solder remelts, you are done. You should not have to add any more solder and you may see a bit of movement when the nut settles against the bolt when the solder melts. Allow to cool before moving. It will take a lot more then recoil to knock them apart.
Paul

Last edited by Moosehuntersupreme; 12-22-2014 at 12:25 PM.
Old 12-22-2014, 01:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

went an bought a oxy mapp touch, with money I was saving for vegas. seems to help. but I think i am going to do another one and use jb weld to bond.

do have a pressure fitted on I did as a test

may go done on step in drill bit size and do that with jb weld.
Old 12-22-2014, 07:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

here is my simple peep for one of my cva hawken.

corner bracket, just need an longer screw for the tang.

Old 12-22-2014, 07:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

That'll work.
Old 12-24-2014, 10:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

with a little bit of cutting on a long screw, one rubber washer later. got it to fit.

I have cleaned up the extra rubber from around the set up. since I took the pic