Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.
View Poll Results: Have you ever, for any reason, lost a game animal?
Yes
88.10%
No
11.90%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Unrecovered Game?

Old 12-21-2014, 07:53 AM
Typical Buck

Default Unrecovered Game?

Have you at any time, for whatever reason, been unable to recover game you have hit?
Old 12-21-2014, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have. Thankfully, not in a good while. Most that I have lost was when I was young and learning to bowhunt. I don't know how many deer I've taken exactly, definitely over 100, probably closer to 120. I think I've lost 5 or 6 best I can recall.

These days I try and take high percentage shots pretty much every time. The other thing is I've learned to track deer much better over the years, which has helped me find a few that would probably have been lost in my earlier years.
Old 12-21-2014, 08:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

To make this fair. I'll put this poll on other hunting forums that are more active to get a better average. This is just a black powder forum which is limited to how many take the poll, plus it's leaving out the majority of hunters which are bow and rifle hunters.
Old 12-21-2014, 08:25 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
To make this fair. I'll put this poll on other hunting forums that are more active to get a better average. This is just a black powder forum which is limited to how many take the poll, plus it's leaving out the majority of hunters which are bow and rifle hunters.
Good idea; thanks!
Old 12-21-2014, 08:45 AM
Dominant Buck

I have never lost one to a muzzleloader. But many many years ago I shot a buck and waited for it to go lay down. And someone beat me to it. Never fired a shot mind you, but took the deer.

I only had one muzzleloader deer that almost beat my odds. But a friend and I tracked it all night with flashlights. No guns mind you. We finally found it in a bed. And I will leave it at that... It was a nice deer though.
Old 12-21-2014, 08:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by cayugad
I have never lost one to a muzzleloader. But many many years ago I shot a buck and waited for it to go lay down. And someone beat me to it. Never fired a shot mind you, but took the deer.

I only had one muzzleloader deer that almost beat my odds. But a friend and I tracked it all night with flashlights. No guns mind you. We finally found it in a bed. And I will leave it at that... It was a nice deer though.
You recovered it. You didn't lose it, but someone stole it. So, you've never lost one.
Old 12-21-2014, 09:11 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
You recovered it. You didn't lose it, but someone stole it. So, you've never lost one.
I have to disagree with that. I did not recover it as much as I found where it was recovered. Granted if the person that took the deer had not, I would have recovered it. But unless I am eating off that deer I shot, I did not recover it.
Old 12-21-2014, 09:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

What if a bear gets to it before you do. Is that lost too? The poll is about not finding an animal you shot. As it relates to the other thread on losing the deer.
Old 12-21-2014, 11:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

I've lost one animal with my muzzleloader and two with archery gear in 50 years of hunting and probably 75 animals total.
Old 12-22-2014, 05:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've lost a deer once. I spent 26 yrs. in the USAF and qualified expert marksman every year!!! So it is possible that schmidt happens!!!!

Muley you need to take up a hobby to calm down that old mind of yours. Or here is a novel thought, how about just reading a post and not posting an annoying response??

Merry Christmas Mr. Scrooge!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.