Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.
View Poll Results: Have you ever, for any reason, lost a game animal?
Yes
88.10%
No
11.90%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Unrecovered Game?

Old 12-22-2014, 05:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

He made a statement that everybody has lost animals. Everybody hasn't, so I called him on it. On the 24hourcampfire forum 10 hunters said they never lost animals out of about 35 who posted.

Multiply that by the millions of hunters, and you see how many haven't lost any animals.

The problem is new hunters see false statements like everybody will lose game, and they accept that as ok. It's not ok, and every effort should be taken to make good shots, and learn how to track an animal.

Too bad if you find that annoying. I speak my mind on forums, and give honest opinions. I have no concern if someone like you gets their panties in a knot.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I have no concern if someone like you gets their panties in a knot.
This is exactly your problem, you lost your calling. You should have been a community organizer. They tend to get under people's skin too!!!
Old 12-22-2014, 06:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

What do you expect when you call me annoying?

Tit for tat.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

You also have to take into consideration that people lie, and say they did not lose and animal when in fact they did. Even if anonymous they will lie. I would give more weight to those who said they have lost animals. Additionally, the number of years one has been hunting will also play into this. The more years the better the odds get that you will lose an animal. Getting your knickers in a twist over this is pretty much a waste of energy.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
You also have to take into consideration that people lie, and say they did not lose and animal when in fact they did. Even if anonymous they will lie. I would give more weight to those who said they have lost animals. Additionally, the number of years one has been hunting will also play into this. The more years the better the odds get that you will lose an animal. Getting your knickers in a twist over this is pretty much a waste of energy.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

I never got upset over this, and even though most won't believe it. I never post to stir a pot. I'm just trying to make a point.

Some may lie about it, but I know for a fact that my dad never lost an animal. He drove that into me over the years as I grew up, and he taught me to hunt. If you put all the odds in your favor it can be done. Of course it can still happen, and it's not always the hunters fault, but in a lot of the cases it is too.

The word "everybody" is a big word, and you need to be careful when you use it.

Forums are all about giving our opinions. We should all have our right to do that without being insulted.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:51 AM
Dominant Buck

What if a bear gets to it before you do. Is that lost too? The poll is about not finding an animal you shot. As it relates to the other thread on losing the deer.
And that's the entire point there Muley. I did not find the animal. I found a gut pile and a drag mark. There was no deer there. In my book that is a deer I did not recover. That deer would makes poor soup in my pot. And if a bear beats me to it.. yes that is one I did not recover, the bear recovered it. The second person to finish in a race is nothing more then the person who came in next, behind the winner.

Many times on these forums people make a generalized statement. Such as, "We've all lost a deer." or "We've all seen that happen." I am sure they never meant every single person out in the entire world never lost a deer or saw something that we might not have seen. It is an generalized statement never made to be taken word for word.

But the problem on many forums I have noticed is some people take on the responsible of appointing themselves "the word police." They feel its their responsibility to take and break down literally every single phrase and or word and make issue of it. Almost as if it were gospel or unwritten law. I personally take anything I read on forums and opinions with a grain of skepticism. But to all the "Word Police" out there, I say, that's fine. If that's how they enjoy their life, or its their duty, more power to them. I might say, "We've all played Word Police at one time or another." But that would just make the day of "The Word Police." After all... not everyone has done it. So I won't.

Instead I suggest take these statements, opinions, and facts on these forums as a very generalized and often enlighting form of information and entertainment. If you need a stiff drink, a pill, or what ever to just chill. Have one on me. I think all of us could use one.... er wait.. most of us could use one. Have a good day.
Old 12-22-2014, 07:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yep, i've lost a few wounded deer. Also lost an elk in 2003: Thankfully, the animal was found and taken out by another hunter.
Old 12-22-2014, 07:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

cayugad......If you read his posts you'll see he really believed that everybody has lost animals. So, he wasn't just using an expression. I felt I had a point to make, and I did. No apology for anything i've said.

In your case. I still say you never lost an animal. You found where it was, but someone stole it. That's no different than someone stealing it out of your truck. If that hunter hadn't taken it from you. It would have been in your freezer. The question isn't if you ate the animal. the question is have you shot an animal, and never found it.

You should be proud that you never lost one.
Old 12-22-2014, 07:59 AM
Typical Buck

cayugad......If you read his posts you'll see he really believed that everybody has lost animals. So, he wasn't just using an expression. I felt I had a point to make, and I did. No apology for anything i've said.

You should be proud that you never lost one.
As I've previously stated to you, I was using a common colloquialism when I said, "it's happened to us all", just as Cayugad suggests and as is generally understood in conversation.

Anyway, at your insistence I posted this poll.

Parenthetically, it seems you leave some here with the same exact impression I have of you.
Do you need a poll for that, as well?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.