Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
lost a deer. what do you think? >

lost a deer. what do you think?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

lost a deer. what do you think?

Old 12-21-2014, 07:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Do you have access to a deer tracking dog? If they are legal where you are, you could certainly go back out today... I'm sure its been cold enough. Them dogs are amazing. If they are legal in your state and someone is relatively close to you, most of these guys live to have their dogs find deer for folks. Just a thought.

tracking dogs

Old 12-21-2014, 07:18 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I'm saying not all hunters have lost animals. You're making an assumption that because you've lost an animal that everybody must have.
I think you are simply vituperative.

Frankly, almost every one I know across the age range who hunts has, at one time or another and for various reasons, lost an animal.

If you, yourself, have not and, further, do not know of anyone who has, I would say that is truly amazing.
Old 12-21-2014, 07:22 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by WV Hunter
I'm quite surprised you found the ball... that's gotta be some long odds to find it at the point of impact. Strange.

I thought the same-needle/haystack.

OP-make a necklace!
Old 12-21-2014, 07:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by ModernPrimitive
I think you are simply vituperative.

Frankly, almost every one I know across the age range who hunts has, at one time or another and for various reasons, lost an animal.

If you, yourself, have not and, further, do not know of anyone who has, I would say that is truly amazing.
Take a poll, and you'll be amazed even more.
Old 12-21-2014, 07:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've lost several over my hunting career... not proud of it, but certainly not ashamed. I've also killed a ton, so the % is low on losses.
I never said you should be ashamed. Sometime it happens. I'm just saying it hasn't happen to everybody. Call it luck if you want.

Sometimes you can be lucky by putting all the odds in your favor. Some hunters take risky shots. Some don't. Of course long shots are always a bit risky for those who aren't skillful enough to make them. Others try risky shots like head shots. It can go on and on about what's risky, and what's not.

I think if someone take fairly close shots, and always takes nothing but double lung shots with good ammo that will give a pass through. The odds are in his favor to not lose an animal.
Old 12-21-2014, 07:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Do you have access to a deer tracking dog? If they are legal where you are, you could certainly go back out today... I'm sure its been cold enough. Them dogs are amazing. If they are legal in your state and someone is relatively close to you, most of these guys live to have their dogs find deer for folks. Just a thought.

tracking dogs

PERFECT ANSWER!!! They allow tracking dogs in my state and I can assure you, those dogs are outstanding! Its an exceptional rarity that an animal isn't found. I heard of one Dachshund that trailed an animal over 2 miles, crossed a river twice and still found the deer.

If they don't allow tracking dogs in anyone's state, hunters there should be lobbying to get that allowed.
Old 12-21-2014, 07:55 AM
Spike

Thanks guys.

Let's not get to hung up on if everyone has lost a deer or not. It really does not help the situation. It only turns the thread into a different argument.

I am leaving now with my daughter to search a bit more. I did walk circles yesterday trying to pick up any sort of blood or sign but came up with nothing. I was about 100 yards from the public land foundry which is the direction that they came from so if it went that way then I am out of luck.

Yea, I was super surprised and happy to find the ball. I was hoping to find it but I thought there was no way. Then I found the hair, then bone fragments, then I say the ball laying there. It didn't hit a tree or anything and man it was mushroomed out. So that was a heck of a hit no matter what. I did think possibly brisket due to the color of the blood, no bubbles and the hair I found. But with the bone fragments I found and the fact that there is lead on the back of the bone fragment, it leads me to believe that a slightly quartering away deer that looses bone from the opposite side of the deer then it could not have gone through brisket and hit bone on the opposite side. If I would have hit the leg with that much ball mushrooming then it would have destroyed her leg and I would have seen her hobbling away on three legs.

All I can do is put in a little more time and see if I can come up with something. I just feel with that much ball damage and bone and that much blood 30 yards away from standing there for 10-15 seconds I should have been able to see more blood and find her.

I hate this part about hunting. This would be my first ML kill so I have no experience with this the way I do in reading an arrow after an archery kill.

Thanks for the help.
Old 12-21-2014, 07:59 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by mainjet
Thanks guys.

Let's not get to hung up on if everyone has lost a deer or not. It really does not help the situation. It only turns the thread into a different argument.

I am leaving now with my daughter to search a bit more. I did walk circles yesterday trying to pick up any sort of blood or sign but came up with nothing. I was about 100 yards from the public land foundry which is the direction that they came from so if it went that way then I am out of luck.

Yea, I was super surprised and happy to find the ball. I was hoping to find it but I thought there was no way. Then I found the hair, then bone fragments, then I say the ball laying there. It didn't hit a tree or anything and man it was mushroomed out. So that was a heck of a hit no matter what. I did think possibly brisket due to the color of the blood, no bubbles and the hair I found. But with the bone fragments I found and the fact that there is lead on the back of the bone fragment, it leads me to believe that a slightly quartering away deer that looses bone from the opposite side of the deer then it could not have gone through brisket and hit bone on the opposite side. If I would have hit the leg with that much ball mushrooming then it would have destroyed her leg and I would have seen her hobbling away on three legs.

All I can do is put in a little more time and see if I can come up with something. I just feel with that much ball damage and bone and that much blood 30 yards away from standing there for 10-15 seconds I should have been able to see more blood and find her.

I hate this part about hunting This would be my first ML kill so I have no experience with this the way I do in reading an arrow after an archery kill.

Thanks for the help.

All you can do is continue to search...
Old 12-21-2014, 08:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

mainjet........I'm curious about who made the ball? Normally, they don't break up like that.

As for finding the deer? All you can do is look for it during the hunt. If it takes too long the critters will have found her, and it doesn't matter if you find her or not. of course if she's alive, and not hurt that bad you'll never find her.

Sorry, for taking the thread in another direction, but it was related to the topic too. I see too many times someone saying everybody loses an animal. After awhile hunters come to expect it, and that's a wrong attitude to have. Someone will not find an animal right away, and just say to themselves..........Oh well, it happens to everybody, so no big deal. It's always a big deal.

I'm not pointing this at you, but to those who give up looking too fast.
Old 12-21-2014, 09:07 AM
Dominant Buck

Reference Tracking Dogs...

Dog Use in Wisconsin

It is illegal to hunt deer with dogs. We know this and respect the law.

Note: dogs kept on a leash may be used to follow a blood trail in order to locate a suspected dead deer, provided that the trackers do not possess any firearm, bow or crossbow.

This is great to see. Years ago I asked a warden in Wisconsin the same question and he flat out told me, if he caught me using my dog to track a wounded deer, I would be fined. A dog can track a deer in minutes, compared to a man searching for blood and track. A good tracking dog is amazing to watch.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.