Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Lyman Deerstalker Question >

Lyman Deerstalker Question

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Lyman Deerstalker Question

Old 12-24-2014, 05:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

90gr of powder with a PRB is a good deer load.
Old 12-26-2014, 08:19 AM
Spike

Default Cabelas Investarms vs. Lyman Loads

It seems to frequently be said that Cabela's rifles by Investarms are the same as similar Lyman models. But, the load recommendations in their owner's manuals are substantially different.

I ran into this one day while helping someone at the range. He had a brand new Cabelas Hawken -- a great looking gun -- along with 3F powder and conical bullets. I was surprised to see that the Investarms Owner's Manual included with the gun showed a max load for that combination of 60 grains. Attached is a table comparing Owner's Manual max loads for Investarms vs. Lyman. The Investarms loads are much lower for almost all combinations, but show particularly big reductions for 3F powder. Applying the 15% reduction for T7 shows a max load of 51 grains for 3F T7 with conical bullets. Assuming accurate loads might be 5 - 10 grains below these max loads leaves little flexibility. It appears 2F black or RS is best for these.

The Investarms manual seems to be the same one from the Italian web site, while Lyman's seems to be their own US creation. I wonder if this is about differences in standards? Maybe Europe would require a bunch of expensive testing to list the higher loads and Investarms chooses not to do it. Maybe it's just different lawyers.
Attached Thumbnails Lyman Deerstalker Question-investarms-v-lyman.pdf  
Old 12-26-2014, 08:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good information there Bill. Quality post.
Old 12-26-2014, 10:16 AM
Dominant Buck

When I purchased my Lyman Trade Rifle.. it came with a Lyman manual and an Investarms Manual. And you're right, the load information reference max loads is different in them. I read both manuals. But decided that the Lyman was more generous, so I did not worry about max loads.
Old 12-27-2014, 10:33 AM
Spike

Great that you had the Lyman and the Lyman manual.

Those who have the Cabelas branded gun with only the Investarms manual aren't so lucky. I wonder if anything official has ever been published to allow the higher loads in the Cabelas brand guns?
Old 12-28-2014, 01:30 PM
Typical Buck

I shot my son's flintlock Deerstalker with the same load of 80gr of Goex FFF powder and the 385gr Hornady Great Plains bullet as I did with mine and man am I quite impressed with the accuracy. Now if we can only manage to get out and hunt during PA's Late ML season and the God's smile down on us we might be able to get one. Providing we don't flinch too much when the pan ignites.

Again the only problem I have with the Deerstalkers is the trigger. Hopefully I'll get a email back from either Investarms or Davis regarding a Double set trigger for a Left handed Deerstalker. If not, off to Dixons.
Old 01-02-2015, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bill--Thanks for the comparison of the Lyman, Investarm & Cabelas max loads for their Hawkens. I assume that Investarm makes the three to the same standards. My Hawken is the Investarm, so far I have not exceeded the 80 grain max. for conicals. I only use Pyrodex in it. I do feel a little safer if I should stray a little over the 90 grains with a PRB. I doubt if I will ever use more then 80 grains with a conical, I shoot a 240 grain PA by Hornady. Thanks again.
Old 01-02-2015, 10:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Jenks
Bill--Thanks for the comparison of the Lyman, Investarm & Cabelas max loads for their Hawkens. I assume that Investarm makes the three to the same standards. My Hawken is the Investarm, so far I have not exceeded the 80 grain max. for conicals. I only use Pyrodex in it. I do feel a little safer if I should stray a little over the 90 grains with a PRB. I doubt if I will ever use more then 80 grains with a conical, I shoot a 240 grain PA by Hornady. Thanks again.
My Mrs. has the Investarms .54 Hawken percussion model. It's a great shooter and she's taken several deer with it with a load of 70gr Pyro P and a .530 patched ball. I disassembled the lock not long after she bought it (used) and polished the bearing surfaces because she prefers to use the main (front) trigger only vs using it "set". It's much smoother now and she shoots it well. We've tried FFg black and the groups were no better so we stick with Pyro in that rifle.

BPS
Old 01-02-2015, 11:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

BPS--mine is a 50 cal. I also bought it used, the letters in the square are AN, which I read somewhere means that it was made in the 1980's. It has very pretty wood in the stock and I do not use it for hunting for several reasons. I don't want to scratch it up, I don't want to mount a scope on it and I want to hunt with a stainless gun and 777 so I have a little more time between shooting and cleaning. They are very nice traditional guns tho and I enjoy shooting it about once a year and looking at it most every day.
Old 01-02-2015, 01:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Jenks
BPS--mine is a 50 cal. I also bought it used, the letters in the square are AN, which I read somewhere means that it was made in the 1980's. It has very pretty wood in the stock and I do not use it for hunting for several reasons. I don't want to scratch it up, I don't want to mount a scope on it and I want to hunt with a stainless gun and 777 so I have a little more time between shooting and cleaning. They are very nice traditional guns tho and I enjoy shooting it about once a year and looking at it most every day.
Hey Jenks,

I just looked...hers says AZ which I'm going to assume was made after yours was but I have no idea when. She bought it from a friend I used to work with back in '91 before we were married. He told us it had less than 20 rounds through it and it was in excellent condition inside and out. She got the rifle, a partial pound of Pyro P, a darn near full box of .530 roundballs, a nice leather possibles bag and all of the necessary shooting accessories for $100!!!

BPS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.