Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
good used muzzleloader? >

good used muzzleloader?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

good used muzzleloader?

Old 12-08-2014, 12:55 PM
Typical Buck

Default good used muzzleloader?

ive been wanting to pick up a nice used second hand muzzleloader as a backup gun, i was just wondering what are some good guns to look for (or avoid). Something i could use 209 primers with and preferably would handle 150grain loads. What would be some makes and models to be on the look out for that might sell for $200 or less.
Old 12-08-2014, 01:12 PM
Dominant Buck

There are many used rifles under $200.00 that can be found on gun auction sites. Although there appears a trend I am seeing on sites. Some people believe if they paid lets say $299.00 for the rifle new, you should pay the same for used. Or they reduce it to say $250.00. These people are not interested in selling as much as changing what they have, and can be hard to deal with.

Then you get the ones that got a great deal on their rifles and are out to sell it for a profit. But keep your eyes open. I have seen a lot of good CVA rifles selling used for under $200.00
Old 12-08-2014, 01:46 PM
Typical Buck

well the cva's kind of scare me because i remember years back where they had some blowups and recalls, and id be worried im buying one of those possibly.
Old 12-08-2014, 02:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

Forget your concerns about the recent line of CVAs. That was then, this is now. They are good, solid, safe guns.

You want a good back up gun for under $200? Take advantage of Cabala's current sale on the blue/black Wolf for $170.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shoot...3Bcat104533380
Old 12-08-2014, 03:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Cva

Myself, i am a proud owner of several TC Omega rifles. Last week, and tomorrow i will take/took one of them hunting. They work good, and make me happy.

There is also a Knight Extreme standing there by the TC rifles. It is a wonderful, solid feeling, straight shooting rifle. You may be able to find one of these used, if you are patient.

Here lately, i have been pondering experimenting with the CVA QRBP. Cabelas has the OPTIMA on sale right now, for what to me is a price better than purchasing used. It is a rifle i have looked at as a possible way to experiment on the QRBP, because it is so cheap.

Myself, i have zero qualm about the reliability, and safety of CVA rifles. In the past, i have owned three, and still own one old worn out Accura. The old worn Accura has over 2000 shots through. Most of the shots made whilst i experimented with the breech plug. This worn Accura has a loose spot in the barrel just above where the bullet sits. It isn't a bulge, it is just 'worn'.

Even though i spent most of my earning career as a carpenter, and then after retirement, put thousands of shots through CVA muzzle loaders, i still have all my fingers.
Old 12-08-2014, 03:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

The early-years inlines, like the recalled CVA Apollo product, were new to the industry and subject to mistakes by manufacturers, due to inexperience.

Since those early years, the guns today are so-so-so much better, coming down the production lines.

If you are still leery about CVA and don't have over $200 to spend, consider a new Traditions inline.

http://www.basspro.com/Traditions-Tr...product/55486/

If purchasing thru basspro, buy one pack of inexpensive sabot bullets to sight the new rifle-in. The reviews are very good, on such a cheap bullet.

http://www.basspro.com/Thompson/Cent...product/35467/

Last edited by Triple Se7en; 12-08-2014 at 03:26 PM.
Old 12-08-2014, 03:50 PM
Typical Buck

I have a Trads Vortek pistol and it is a hoot to shoot.
Old 12-08-2014, 06:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
Forget your concerns about the recent line of CVAs. That was then, this is now. They are good, solid, safe guns.

You want a good back up gun for under $200? Take advantage of Cabala's current sale on the blue/black Wolf for $170.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shoot...3Bcat104533380

Also, Muley has a nice Wolf with basically everything you'll need listed in the classifieds section. Even though he's an hornery old fart , he's a good guy and this would be an excellent buy for someone looking to get started.

Getting a gun is one thing, but there's alot of addl stuff you really need to be properly set up to shoot/clean, etc. It can certainly add up. Given everything there is, the price is right on what he's offering, imo...and it would be a great starter gun.

wolf package
Old 12-09-2014, 07:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks for pointing it out bud.
Old 12-09-2014, 07:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

I would bet his Wolf has barely been shot.

It is probably like new with several upgrades and the price is very fair.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.