Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Thompson Renegade weaver scope mount >

Thompson Renegade weaver scope mount

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Thompson Renegade weaver scope mount

Old 11-25-2014, 07:47 AM
Spike

Default Thompson Renegade weaver scope mount

I have a Thompson Renegade. 54 cal that I want to mount a scope on. There was already a scope on it but it was using the wideview scope rings that allow you to still use the iron sites.

I do not like the wideview rings because I want to be able to remove the scope for cleaning the ML. The barrel did not have a base mounted on it for the wideview rings. The barrel was tapped to screw the rings right to the barrel. Also, I do not have the blind hole that is in some breech plugs.

So my questions are:
1. do you think that I can just get a weaver base that will screw down to the front sight holes and also to a couple of the holes that were tapped for the wideview rings?

2. Can anyone tell me which base would be a good one to use to start with (base number). If need be, I guess I could have our machinist at work drill another hole or two in the weaver base to align to the holes already in the barrel.

I have decided to get the Simmons ProDiamond 4x32 scope for my gun.

I'm going to have my son take the barrel to work and see if he can get close on a weaver base. If I have to bring it to work and have our machinest make some mods then maybe I can do that. My son works at Gander Mountain in the gun department so he can sit there and mess with bases better than I can just walking in.

Last edited by mainjet; 11-25-2014 at 08:54 AM.
Old 11-25-2014, 03:20 PM
Dominant Buck

The only information about mounting scopes on Renegade barrels I can offer you is.. see if you can find the correct one from Thompson Center. It will do no good to call them as they don't have any. But I have ran across them on some of the auction sites. They attach to the rear sight and the hole right in front of the tang on the barrel. Those are the only ones I know of.

I do have mounting plates around the house for a Renegade. But never used one. The way I understood it is, you mounted the plate which is tapped to accept a base mount to the plate. On top of that goes the rings. Like I said, I have two or three of them I purchased at an estate sale. Never used them. And am only guessing that is how they are used.
Old 11-26-2014, 01:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I have a T/C scope mount on a T/C plains rifle. the rail mounted to the already factory drilled and tapped barrel. then the rings are on a rail also that slides in place and a long screw holds it tight.
Has worked great since 1995.

Al
Old 11-26-2014, 05:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I went traditional with my setup:

This is an InvestArms Hawken Carbine with a Malcolm style scope from Leatherwood. It is a 3x 17" model. I had a friend help me mount it. We had to drill and tap the mounts. He was more the expert on this job. I did the support work, like get the coffee and stuff!!

I forgot to include that the hammer had to be heated and bent outward to clear the scope and mount.
Old 12-05-2014, 11:57 AM
Spike

I found a base that worked for my needs. It's a weaver 63B which has a flat bottom.

As I said in the original post, my barrel was already tapped for other scope rings. So I just used the existing rear hole in the weaver base and aligned that to the rearmost tapped hole in the barrel. Then I had my machinist drill me two more holes to line up with the other holes that were in the barrel.

The rear site stays where it is but obviously I won't be using it with this setup.

I have already checked my scope to be sure that it is high enough not to interfere with the hammer and that I can move the scope back far enough to get my needed eye relief. All is good.

I am using Weaver extra high rings but I can still get a nice cheek weld with good eye relief and the scope does not feel too high.

" />
" />
" />
" />

Last edited by mainjet; 12-05-2014 at 12:00 PM.