Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

nipple threads?

Old 11-22-2014, 01:40 PM
Fork Horn

Default nipple threads?

Can nipple threads be repaired? The reason I ask is the threads on my Lyman Hawken seem loose to me compared to the threads in my TC sidelock rifles. The threads still tighten up just fine and I have been shooting the gun as it is they just don't seem as tight as my other guns are. Any options or maybe I'm just nit picking. thanks
Old 11-22-2014, 02:13 PM
Typical Buck

The Lyman and T/C are threaded for different sized nipples, I believe; are you sure you are using the right size?
Old 11-22-2014, 03:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

The Lyman nipple has 6-.75mm thread.

The TC nipple has 1/4-28 thread.

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/807/2
Old 11-22-2014, 04:18 PM
Dominant Buck

Something you can do is wrap the nipple threads with teflon tape. That helps them tighten and they still come out nice and easy.
Old 11-23-2014, 11:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by falcon
The Lyman nipple has 6-.75mm thread.

The TC nipple has 1/4-28 thread.

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/807/2
caplock,

The 6mm x .75 thread for your Lyman Hawken is smaller than the standard 1/4 x 28 thread used in T/C rifles so I doubt you have a T/C nipple in by mistake, it would be tight an it would bugger up the threads on your bolster (or drum). If your nipple is fitting loose, and I'm not really sure what you're calling loose, you could do as Cayugad suggests and wrap the threads with Teflon tape but you may want to try a quality replacement nipple first.

BPS
Old 11-24-2014, 04:35 PM
Fork Horn

I've been shooting the gun for about 28 years and have always used either a uncle mikes hot shot or the original lyman nipple, It just seems like with the nipple threaded in about half way I can wobble it a little. On my Thompson guns they just feel a little tighter. Like I said it always tightens down fine and has never really been a problem it just always makes me wonder what would happen if it ever blew out while firing, probably nothing good that's for sure. Maybe just try a new nipple of a different manufacture, any recommendations? thanks guys