Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Hunting in Rain/Snow >

Hunting in Rain/Snow

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Hunting in Rain/Snow

Old 11-20-2014, 05:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

That's true. But there's a long column of air between the bullet and the muzzle protector which is compressed as the bullet moves forward, blowing any muzzle protector to smithereens long before the bullet gets to the muzzle.
Old 11-20-2014, 05:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

It still effecting the POI. I believe Jon did the test with those Muzzle Cots. (rubber)
Old 11-20-2014, 05:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

I don't believe it.
Old 11-21-2014, 04:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

In my experience, the muzzle cots have no impact to POI. I don't hunt a lot in the rain but that's what I always use. One pack has lasted me several years.
Old 11-21-2014, 05:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

i use Traditions "rain gear". The little pink thingy waterproofs the #11 cap.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/produ...n-gear?a=56813
Old 11-21-2014, 09:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Semisane
I don't believe it.
Really. You didn't say that when the test was made.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/blac...-bore-cot.html

Last edited by Muley Hunter; 11-21-2014 at 10:14 AM.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:27 AM
Dominant Buck

I did once test finger cots on a rifle that had no front sight to see if they made a difference in accuracy. I found no difference. But I was only shooting out to 75 yards with my White M97 in .451. I was shooting 80 grains of 2f T 7 and a 460 grain conical. I did find finger cots that looked to be still in tact. Why I am guessing the pressure of the air moving simply blew them off the muzzle.

A finger cot to those that do not know is a rubber bandage you can purchase at a pharmacy. Its used to roll over your finger, keeping dirt and grim out of cuts to the finger. They work real good. But in rifle, if you have a front sight, sometimes they tear, sometimes they don't.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

The bullet doesn't need to touch the cot to affect accuracy.

For the same reason the bullet doesn't need to touch a QLA bored off center to affect accuracy.
Old 11-23-2014, 11:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

My suggestion is.... hunt from a blind!

BPS
Old 11-24-2014, 07:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt in the SE part of Al. It often rains during our special 5 days of ML I hunted last week during the rain as a matter of fact. I don't try to keep my rifles out of the rain. I use the fingers of "surgical" gloves or a balloon strectched over the muzzle. I have had no misfires. Also I have test fired my ML's (Savage 10 ML and CVA 50 Cal. Optima ) at the range to satisfy myself that there is no adverse effect of ahving the covers on the muzzle. I have found zero effect on accuracy or drop out as far as my shooting range goes .... 150 yards.

I simply wipe down my rifles when I get back in to camp and will clean them thoroughly when I get back in after taking a shot (s). I have had zero rust issues.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.