Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Aww finally got out >

Aww finally got out

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Aww finally got out

Old 11-19-2014, 01:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Aww finally got out

After a hectic September down in FL selling a house and moving out, then PA archery season taking up all my free time with a moose hunt in Labrador thrown in the mix, I finally got out to shoot a smoke pole. My friend and I took the flinters out. Either my eyes changed or my sights got moved but I had to make some sight adjustments. But after doing so we were both packing them right in the bull. Then someone had thrown some semi-rotten apples out where we were shooting. So we set them up on the bank and proceeded to make 'applesauce' shooting them at about 50 yards.
What a blast.
Old 11-19-2014, 01:44 PM
Dominant Buck

all that snow miss you?

Shooting at fruit is so much fun. I have some oranges in the fridge that are begging to be blasted!
Old 11-19-2014, 03:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Shooting old fruit is a blast. I like hanging old eggs on a string and whacking them. Scrambled anyone?
Old 11-19-2014, 08:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well dang Bronko. I'm glad you finally got to have some fun after all of that dull boring bow hunting and moose hunting.

Old 11-20-2014, 08:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cayugad
all that snow miss you?

Shooting at fruit is so much fun. I have some oranges in the fridge that are begging to be blasted!
Funny you mention that!!!! We had a HUGE, 24" across, punkin on our porch that the wife wanted gotten rid of. The snow, ice n frost made it not so pretty anymore. I get an idear!!!! Punkin pie anyone!!?!?!?! I carry, looked like one of those world strong man comp's with them putting the atlas stones on the stand!!!!, that thing around back and cut a hole in top n fill with water. Carry/hoble it out to the field in back and out comes my .460 Smith with some 200grn FTX's at 2300fps. BOY HOWDY!!!!!! We had pie!! Wish I had a slo mo camera to film that. I was maybe 25yds away and pieces hit me!!!
I would have never thought with all that mass it would have had enough energy to throw pieces that far.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

I forgot to tell you guys. I had an episode. While swabbing between shots with an alcohol patch, the insert from the range rod pulled out and left it and the jag/patch in the bore. I had to take off the barrel, remove the touch hole and pour in some FFFFg into the breech, reinstall the touch hole. Then I put the range rod down to make sure the patch and jag were down all the way and removed the rod. I shot into the ground and recovered my jag but the insert was banged up as it must have hit a rock.
I just got done putting a new end on the range rod and pinned it with a brass brad. Now it will never come off.
Old 11-20-2014, 02:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
I forgot to tell you guys. I had an episode. While swabbing between shots with an alcohol patch, the insert from the range rod pulled out and left it and the jag/patch in the bore. I had to take off the barrel, remove the touch hole and pour in some FFFFg into the breech, reinstall the touch hole. Then I put the range rod down to make sure the patch and jag were down all the way and removed the rod. I shot into the ground and recovered my jag but the insert was banged up as it must have hit a rock.
I just got done putting a new end on the range rod and pinned it with a brass brad. Now it will never come off.
Dang Son!!!!!! Hope none of that bad luck can jump over the 'Net waves!!!!!!! I have enuf of my own!!!! At least you were able to recover part of it and not a total lost, that would be my luck!!! Was it a CVA nylon range rod? I have always wondered just how well they are made. I have 2. One just for back up.
Old 11-20-2014, 03:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yeah secondchance it was a CVA range rod. I have 3 of them. One each for .50, .54, and .58. I just change the jag on one for the .45.
I am skeptical about the threaded inserts in them. I had one come out of the side with the T handle on which is no biggie. But coming off in the bore with a patch is a different story. If I had some old wooden ramrods I would take the ends off of them and install them on the range rods with epoxy and pin them. That's what I did with this one using the last of my threaded ramrod tips.