Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Weight or volume measure? >

Weight or volume measure?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Weight or volume measure?

Old 11-20-2014, 05:26 PM
Spike

People, I started this thread as a simple concept and it has degraded to ego threatening high school foolishness. Please focus on the core concept of volume or weight measure and why you do what. I don't condemn anyone for what they do. Maybe I suck at volume measurement. To compensate I choose to weight out ahead of time a charge of 73-75gr and It gives me excellent results. I am also a accuracy nut and trigger snob. I don't take offense at someone not having the same craziness I do.
Old 11-21-2014, 06:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

So, why do you care what anybody else does? You seem set on your method, and there's no need to hand out insults.
Old 11-21-2014, 07:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

As I posted earlier, I use volume method and try to be as consistent as possible.

That said, I believe that measuring by weight seems like it would have to yield more consistent results, although it may not really be noticeable in most cases. If I was shooting long distances, I'd probably weigh out my loads to try and gain every edge I could. It certainly can't hurt to weigh em.
Old 11-21-2014, 01:42 PM
Fork Horn

I switched to pellets this season but in the past I have always used Volume for loading.

Bench rest shooters tell me they use volume measuring so it must be good.
Old 11-21-2014, 02:41 PM
Fork Horn

Louisiana's primitive weapons rules now allow any muzzleloader rifle .44 cal or larger or any "single shot,breech loading rifle with exposed hammer in .35 cal or larger, metallic cartridge with black powder or smokeless. Needless to say 98% of the 'primitive" hunters are buying these in 45/70 or 35 Whelen. Scopes are allowed. Mississippi has similar rules. Seasons are usually late and the harvest has been needed to keep the buck-doe ratios at proper levels.La like Texas, now have a lot of Deer Management zones that get more tags to clubs that follow good herd management practices and keep harvest records of size, sex etc that they share with Game and Fish. We have plenty of deer and long seasons. It's hard to find muzzle loading supplies other than at Bass Pro and Cabelas. Given the use of more modern cartridges in the limited seasons, I see very little chance that primitive weapon seasons will be eliminated or curtailed in the south.
Old 11-22-2014, 04:43 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by sabotloader
At issue here for most, their target loads are their hunting loads. However there will be the exception, where a shooter shoots a cheaper bullet throughout the summer for trigger time. I want my hunting loads to be identical to my target loads. Its my expectation of myself, to have 100% confidence in my rifle, load and also myself. Competitive shooters hunt do hunt too.

I would disagree with this concept. I do not even shoot the same bullet or the same powder load when trying to score on paper. That is a whole different game than hunting.

I would be the first to tell you that the hunting bullet I choose to use is not the most accurate bullet on the market - I know that and really do not care. It provides me two things - the very best terminal performance and very good hunting accuracy.

This is an example of the bullet accuracy at 200 yards. 250 grain Bloodline with 120 grains T7-2f (by volume).

Yet if I were shooting targets for accuracy - it would not be this bullet or this powder load.
I'll take this accuracy any day. Excellent shooting!
Old 11-22-2014, 06:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by paul54
I'll take this accuracy any day. Excellent shooting!
Wish I could say i shot it, but it was a Knight Tech testing the new Knight Ultra-Lite
Old 11-24-2014, 06:57 PM
Spike

I have shot a lot both ways. I have found that if I weighed it it shoots a tighter group.