Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Weight or volume measure? >

Weight or volume measure?

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Weight or volume measure?

Old 11-19-2014, 07:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ive found a huge advantage by weighing BH209.

No powder loss and its incredibly easy in a RCBS Chargemaster 1500 Combo. I tell it how much and how many charges i want. Press a button and go. Each time i place the pan back on the scale, it fills it up again until i have all my charges.

It does not get much easier than that for loads that vary by less than half a grain.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 11-19-2014 at 07:40 AM.
Old 11-19-2014, 07:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Powder loss? I use a volume measure over a bowl. It catches all the spilled powder, and it goes back in the bottle. No loss.

It's important to use the same method everytime. I always over fill the measure, and then tap it with my finger to get it to settle in the measure. Then slice it off even at the top. I then either pour it in tubes for the range, or speedloaders for hunting. It's not a true smokeless powder that needs to be perfect in weighing it. You'll never see a couple of grains either way on the target.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
............... You'll never see a couple of grains either way on the target.
If you don't mind me asking, how's that work out at 300 to 400yds in your shooting?
Old 11-19-2014, 08:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

It is either a black powder or black powder sub - it all measures by volume very well. Even with BH which is a smokeless powder - it still meters as a BP sub. In most cases other than Swiss, T7, and BH it will take a 10 gr. difference by volume to make a noticeable difference. Swiss, T7, and BH you might find a measurable difference @ 5 grs. by volume. For hunting accuracy you would never see the difference.

Now if you are hung up on supreme accuracy like you are shooting paper for a living - then by all means consistency is the best way to go - weigh it. But even then in the hunting application there are way to many variables to worry about a 1/2"

A few years back I did weigh everything - but today it is all volume for myself. But then again now today I am not trying to impress anyone with targets just harvest and animal of my choice @ 10 yards to 200 yards.
Old 11-19-2014, 10:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

If it does not make a difference then it makes even more sense to have the same weight each time. Otherwise that does count as a LOSS in powder. If i gain nothing or lose nothing from adding slightly more or less, why should i use slightly more or less?

Waste not want not.

Some of my loads exceed Westerns recommendations but not by much. 91gr weighed works for me in this application and knowing the exact weight each time adds a small piece of mind.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 11-19-2014 at 10:23 AM.
Old 11-19-2014, 01:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

Now if you are hung up on supreme accuracy like you are shooting paper for a living - then by all means consistency is the best way to go - weigh it. But even then in the hunting application there are way to many variables to worry about a 1/2"
What Sabotloader said.

i tried weighing charges. Sometimes weighed charges made a 1/2" smaller group at 100 yards, sometimes not. Just ain't doing it anymore.
Old 11-19-2014, 02:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by BarnesAddict
If you don't mind me asking, how's that work out at 300 to 400yds in your shooting?
I'd be using a .270 for long shots.

Have you ever been real careful with a volume measure, and checked to see how close they were to each other on a scale? I have, and they were close enough to not matter. Especially, for hunting.

Competition target shooting would be different. Shooting a 1/2" group would be better than a 3/4" group. It sure wouldn't matter for hunting.

If you take long shots. Why do you assume everybody does? If I say measuring by volume gives me consistent groups. I mean at my distance, because that what I do. Stop puffing out your chest, because you do something different.
Old 11-19-2014, 03:12 PM
Fork Horn

When Blackhorn started to sell their volume tubes I bought a package of 24 and until last year I shot my Knight's by volume(110 gr). Mid season last year I bought a powder scale and learned that load of 110 gr. by Vol in those tubes weighed 84 to 85gr. This year I measure by vol first, then weigh each load for more consistency. Any powder over 77 gr goes back in the box. So far on the range, my groups have been very consistent. I'll get a chance to try that load in the field next week. Don't expect much change. I have switched from Hornady's SST 300 gr load, with EZ Load sabots to Harvesters 300 gr Scorpion PT Gold with Black Crush Rib sabots I'll let you know how they perform if I get a shot at anything.
Old 11-19-2014, 04:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

when loading for the 45-70 I weigh it . in the encore ML its volume
Old 11-19-2014, 04:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I'd be using a .270 for long shots.

Have you ever been real careful with a volume measure, and checked to see how close they were to each other on a scale? I have, and they were close enough to not matter. Especially, for hunting.
Competition target shooting would be different. Shooting a 1/2" group would be better than a 3/4" group. It sure wouldn't matter for hunting.
If you take long shots. Why do you assume everybody does? If I say measuring by volume gives me consistent groups. I mean at my distance, because that what I do. Stop puffing out your chest, because you do something different.
See, there's a difference between you and I. I don't care about centerfire rifles. I'd rather do it with a muzz. And yes, I've been real careful with a volume measure and then used a scale. It saved my rear end doing that, when one volume measure measured 30grs heavier than it should have. In other words, I would have thought I was shooting 150grs, but in reality I'd have been shooting 180grs.

Muley, nobody's puffing out their chest. What's so hard to understand, that many people are NOT doing what you do "at my distance". If you're not striving to do better tomorrow than you did today, then that's "your normal", just don't try to make it everyone elses. Shooters are taking muzzleloaders to levels way above your head and also mine. So just because you're shooting consistent groups at your distance, doesn't mean that others can't have a different distance. If you're satisfied with RW "point blank range" with your muzz, that's outstanding and I'm certainly very happy for you. But....... remember there are different shooters, striving for many different things than what satisfies just you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.