Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Encore question

Old 11-14-2014, 08:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

For the record. This is what Western recommends.

Quote:

"We have experienced the best performance, consistency and accuracy with CCI 209M and Federal 209A. NOTE: DO NOT use 209 muzzleloading primers such as Winchester Triple 7, Remington Kleenbore, Federal Fusion, or CCI In-Line MZL."
Old 11-14-2014, 08:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've tested using precision equipment, bullet loading and bullet seating forces while using BH. Consistency and tight is the key. Keep the bullet seating force consistent and you'll have better groups. The tighter on the propellant, the better groups you'll end up with. I'm within +/- 5# and seating to 106# force.
Old 11-14-2014, 01:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

.....How about we just settle on this.......
Oh wow! That is just wonderful. How about some other possibles....there is no correct answer. Or how about.. all answers are correct. We can give out participation ribbons too.

Some wish to get it right. Then there are those that need to be right.
Old 11-14-2014, 01:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
Oh wow! That is just wonderful. How about some other possibles....there is no correct answer. Or how about.. all answers are correct. We can give out participation ribbons too.

Some wish to get it right. Then there are those that need to be right.
I'm sure you have that need to be right and it shows in your intelligent response. Someone disagrees and "Oh wow!" ??? If you can't carry on a discussion and do it without being a smart ask, stay out of the discussion please or, is your experience the gospel? "Oh wow!"... Great response Ron.
Read the posts, I didn't disagree even though you thought I called your baby ugly. The quote was posted from Western, that should have satisfied everyone. If you can get away with a certain primer, rather the primer is recommended or not, good for you. But remember, some shooters may take your posts as gospel, then end up still having problems. Good luck explaining it. I know...... its the breech plug and it needs a vent liner.....

Last edited by BarnesAddict; 11-14-2014 at 02:07 PM.
Old 11-14-2014, 03:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BarnesAddict
... I know...... its the breech plug and it needs a vent liner.....
No it doesn't.
Old 11-14-2014, 04:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

My ULA does not have a vent liner and ignition with numerous powders is stellar. It also achieves a true head space on the rim of the primer and is about as sealed as one can get.

It also goes bang every time with a Harvester smooth black and a .451 bullet even with smokeless powder.

I attribute this to the breach plug design. The flash hole never seems to grow either. The same number of loads would have worn out at least 3-4 Savage vent liners in my Savages.
Old 11-14-2014, 05:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

That long flash hole in the ULA, sure seems to work good.
Old 11-14-2014, 05:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BarnesAddict
..... I know...... its the breech plug and it needs a vent liner.....
It took awhile, but finally found photos of a CVA breech plug that will reliably ignite Blackhorn.

The plug on the left is the OEM CVA plug, which is unreliable igniting Blackhorn. The middle plug will reliably ignite Blackhorn 100% of the time using any shotgun primer in -15 degree temperatures or warmer; every time, all the time, any time; it fits CVA rifles. The plug on the right is the OEM Omega/Encore plug, which reliably ignites Blackhorn every time, all the time, any time, using any shotgun primer.

Note, none of these plugs has a vent liner.

Just in case anyone is interested in some specifics, the middle plug has a 0.028" flash hole, and a 5/32" flame channel; works perfectly in my old Accura, and has been tested a jillion times using W209, and STS primers. Many a night when the forcast was for sub-zero temperatures i loaded the rifle, and put it in the truck, so i could see how it worked in the morning. The old rifle never failed to fire right now, right away, using the W209, and the STS primer, no matter how cold the night, or morning.

The vent liner is not necessary for igniting Blackhorn. However, when using the highly erosive shotgun primers, the vent liner has the advantage of allowing the flash hole to be replaced quite economically
Old 11-14-2014, 07:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

My ULA plug is actually quite short. Far shorter than the Savage breach plug. The tolerances are quite tight and it limits my primer selection to CCIs. I may buy another plug if it can be altered to except a Win209. It would need to go back to Melvin since each plug is "fitted" to each rifle.....or so ive been told.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 11-14-2014 at 07:33 PM.
Old 11-15-2014, 03:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

It is certainly possible i don't remember correctly, perhaps probable. What i recall you writing previously, is the ULA plug doesn't have much of a flame channel, i.e. the flash hole virtually runs from the primer seat, to the end of the plug. If so, the flash hole would be far longer than the flash hole in any plug i have ever seen.