Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Bore Butter-Wonder Lube=difference? >

Bore Butter-Wonder Lube=difference?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Bore Butter-Wonder Lube=difference?

Old 11-12-2014, 08:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

I came close. I called in two bears, and when they got around 100yds they started to circle around behind me. They caught my scent, and wandered off. All the areas that had berry bushes produced no bears.

Other than that. Nothing!
Old 11-12-2014, 05:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I came close. I called in two bears, and when they got around 100yds they started to circle around behind me. They caught my scent, and wandered off. All the areas that had berry bushes produced no bears.

Other than that. Nothing!
Oh well... at least you had some action. Not like you sat and saw nothing for the season. I'll bet your ol' ticker was a pumpin' when you saw those two getting interested in your calling! Maybe next season...

BPS
Old 11-12-2014, 10:37 PM
Typical Buck

As BPS knows,it gets very cold here! I want to play with some Maxis and real bullets in my inlines and flinters? Can you guys give me a lube idea that will work? The 2 i ask about are really hard in the cold! I've seen lube recipes but don't know which to try. Would you folks give me a couple of ones i could make?
Old 11-13-2014, 01:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

I uses Stumpy's Moose Snot, you can add more oil if you are in very cold conditions...Some on this website also like mink oil that they get from Track...There are numerous discussions on the Traditional forum that discuss lubes, all have their advocates...

http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fu...hp?tid/203261/
Old 11-13-2014, 04:34 AM
Dominant Buck

Stumpy's Moose Snot

Beeswax 2 oz.
Castor Oil 8 oz.
Murphy's Oil Soap 1 oz.

Heat beeswax in a can (I use a tall cleaned out Baked Bean can) set a pot of water. ( A double-boiler. Add just enough water so the inner can does not begin to float (should be just short of the lube level in the can). Heat the water to a low boil.

In a separate can, add the castor oil and Murphy's oil soap (cold). Once the beeswax is melted, swap the castor oil can in the pot of water for the beeswax. Add the beeswax to the oils. It will clump up.

Stir with anything you have. I just took some wooden wedges, split them length way, and made stir sticks. Keep mixing the ingredents as the mixture heats up. When it fully melts there will be a scum that floats to the top and just won't mix in. Be patient. DO NOT COOK THE MIXTURE.

Once the solids are dissolved there is no need to heat further. Skim the scum off. Remove the mix from the heat and wipe the water off the outside (so it won't drip into the container when you pour it out). FINAL STEP .... Add a teaspoon of Murphy's Oil Soap and stir vigorously. This last step makes the lube frothy and smooth - really adds to the appearance; though it doesn't seem to matter to the function of the lube. Clamp the can in the jaws of a vice-grip pliers and pour into the waiting tins. Allow to cool a half hour.

For colder climates where you want the lube softer, just add a little more oil. When made the conventional way, this stuff stands up to heat and cold. Its a good lube. I have tried other things to "make the lube better," but Stumpy's original formula is really as good as it gets.

This second reciepe is a variation of Junior Lube. I changed it a little and like mine better.

Junior Lube..

exactly 3 fluid ounces of melted lard
exactly 400 grains of solid beeswax
exactly 100 grains of Alox solid bullet lube.

I substituted liquid Lyman Alox for the solid Alox lube that he suggested. I have bottle of this from all the sizing molds I purchased through LEE Molds. I also instead of melted lard, use castor oil.

Since the castor oil comes in a 4 ounce bottle at Wal Mart, I kicked up the solid beeswas to 500 grains, and the Liquid Alox to 125 grains. You can adjust the ingredents to make the lube as hard or as soft as you like. It makes an excellent lube.
Old 11-13-2014, 03:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I came close. I called in two bears, and when they got around 100yds they started to circle around behind me. They caught my scent, and wandered off.
Now you know bears have good noses Mulie. You should have taken your annual bath before you went out!
Old 11-13-2014, 03:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

Good point Bronko. Sometimes when the wind is out of the Northwest I think I get a whiff of Mulie down here in Louisiana.
Old 11-13-2014, 04:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow, that must be awful!
Old 11-13-2014, 04:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sissies....
Old 11-14-2014, 03:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use bore butter to lube my over powder wads. I tested Hornady Great Plains lube vs Bore butter and the bore butter was the winner. Some might not like it I understand. For an over powder wad it works well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.