Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
First Muzzleloader >

First Muzzleloader

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

First Muzzleloader

Old 11-12-2014, 12:24 PM
Spike

If you go the loose powder route please understand that when members suggest something like 90 or 100 grains of 2f, they are talking about 90 TO 100 GRAINS BY VOLUME - NOT BY WEIGHT. If you're new to muzzleloading and you don't understand the difference READ YOUR MANUAL UNTIL YOU HAVE A COMPLETE UNDERSTANDING OF VOLUME VS. WEIGHT.

Loading a blackpowder substitute by weight will greatly increase the charge and can cause damage to you and your rifle.
Old 11-13-2014, 06:34 PM
Spike

Congrats on the new rifle! I use 100gr. of Pyrodex RS and a Powerbelt Copper 245 gr. Aerotip. They shoot consistent and are dependable. Have shot multiple times in a fairly great group. Be religious about cleaning the bore and all elements of the rifle. I clean mine after every shot.
Do note this, a lot of people use the 50gr pellets, while they may work for some, a lot of other frown upon them because in my opinion, they are garbage. Once you put them in the barrel, and ram the bullet down the barrel, if you crack the pellet, your gun with shoot off, in most cases, extremely off. The powder Pyrodex RS is great because the harder you press, the more packed the bullet and powder are, better the shot. If you press too hard then that it perfect.
One more thing to say... Enjoy your new rifle and I hope you get the big boy out there to go with the gun!

Last edited by Marine0311; 11-13-2014 at 06:36 PM. Reason: left something out
Old 11-17-2014, 03:22 PM
Spike

Got out Saturday to shoot and had a blast. The gun shot really well. All the tips were greatly appreciated. Not sure if i needed to but I ran a wet and then a dry patch after each shot and no problems. Got it on paper quickly and then about a 2" group at 50 yards. Sighted in at 50 since where I hunt allows for only a 50-60 yard shot. One question for you guys on cleaning though. I used hoppes#9 blackpowder solvent on the barrel which seemed to work ok but then i used the T/C breach plug parts soaker on the breech plug and it didnt seem to work at all. What do you guys use to clean the breach plug?
Old 11-17-2014, 04:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use rubbing alcohol and a tooth brush, then spray with WD-40 and put into a plastic bag until ready to lube, install and hunt...
Old 11-17-2014, 05:05 PM
Spike

What part of the breach plug do you lube? I ended up cleaning mine with the hoppes solvent and a tooth brush/qtips then put the anti seize on the threads and re-installed. Should i have left it out of the gun?
Old 11-18-2014, 03:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

No, either way is fine...I'm talking about putting grease on the threads...I just usually keep mine in a plastic bag until the next time I'm going to shoot it...
Old 11-24-2014, 07:09 PM
Spike

Shoot only Blackpowder stay around 90 to a 100 grains with a 250 grain quality sabot and bullet and you will be fine