Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
First Muzzleloader >

First Muzzleloader

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

First Muzzleloader

Old 11-11-2014, 04:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you use speedloaders when hunting. Loose powder will load just as fast as pellets.
Old 11-11-2014, 04:36 PM
Spike

X2 on what Muley said.
Old 11-11-2014, 05:54 PM
Spike

Found a shop that sold bullets and powder this afternoon. They had 777 pellets and white hot pellets so i went with the white hots. Couldnt find anyplace close that sold loose powder so i will start with the pellets and see how she shoots. I also picked up some 240 gr xtp sabot bullets. The shop only had TC XTPs but the guy at the shop said they are hornandy bullets sold by TC.
Old 11-12-2014, 06:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

For what you paid for the pellets you could have bought loose powder online for the same price. You also could have bought any bullet instead of what a local shop stocks.

I buy all my supplies online.
Old 11-12-2014, 06:33 AM
Dominant Buck

That combination should work fine. Two pellets and then an XTP. Keep us posted.
Old 11-12-2014, 07:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by cayugad
That combination should work fine. Two pellets and then an XTP. Keep us posted.
If it doesn't work what is his option with just 50gr pellets? He doesn't have one, except to buy more supplies.
Old 11-12-2014, 08:33 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
If it doesn't work what is his option with just 50gr pellets? He doesn't have one, except to buy more supplies.
"Couldnt find anyplace close that sold loose powder so i will start with the pellets and see how she shoots."

his options are limited. So he purchased what he could. Those are his options. For goodness sake, let him at least shoot the thing!! Worse comes to worse, shoot one pellet. As long as he gets to shoot.

We all know, he will end up purchasing more supplies anyway. We all do. At that time he can get some loose powder if the White Hots don't work out for him. Heck I have a room FULL of supplies I purchased. Some I use, some I don't. Its the nature of the beast.

Have fun shooting your gun. Let us know how it does. I heard White Hots are Triple Seven basically. So you might want to be sure and swab between shots. I never shot White Hots. Never actually seen them in the stores up here.
Old 11-12-2014, 08:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

I like to give him an option that has better odds of working. he could have bought online from Carlos, and saved money to boot.

With that said. The combo he bought will probably work ok.
Old 11-12-2014, 09:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

We have discuss the advantages and disadvantages of powder and pellets several times do not hesitate to use the search engine to look those threads up.
As for the difference in speed by going with pellets its not there. We had a contest in our club the people who won were using TC reloading plastic and loose powder. With these you have the powder bullet and primer in one package. To load you pour the powder down the barrel turn it over push the sabot & bullet out of the tube with short starter or ramrod and run it down with the ramrod put the primer on and shoot.
In the contest we had the target was placed at 28 yds. which was the average shot here it had a 4 inch black and you had to hit the black for the shot to count. The people using TC loaders won by more than one shot out of 5 shots.
So the only way pellets can keep up is by using the loaders that were designed for loose powder, and I am not even sure that would work as I have never seen it done.
The other good reason is pellets cost more per shot than the best most expensive loose powder on the market.
My recommendation is a U-view TC powder measure and either Blackhorn or Pyrodex powder with XTP or Shock Wave bullets and 209 primers that are for reloading Later after you know the sport you may want to look into using rifle primers. But that's for later it is better to learn using the standard set up.
Old 11-12-2014, 11:58 AM
Spike

Thanks for all the info...seriously. I was not trying to stir the pot. I just wanted to get your opinions on where to start. I think once I get shooting I will have a better idea of my preferences. For now though I just cant wait to get out to shoot and sight this baby in. Thanks again guys. I am sure I will have alot more questions!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.