Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Not M: but what a night >

Not M: but what a night

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Not M: but what a night

Old 10-27-2014, 04:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Not M: but what a night

Thought I'd share with my buds:
I was in the treestand this evening hoping for a nice buck to come by. About an hour before dark I caught movement 100 yards or so out. Black and my first thought was turkey. But nope. It was a bear casually working its way in my direction. As it came to the trail I walked on he stopped and smelled the ground and turned toward my stand. I thought, that is a good bear. And the closer he got the better he looked. At about 15 yards he was close enough to accurately judge his size. I estimated him to be about 24" - 30" wide across the shoulders, close to 36" at the highest point on his back and an easy five feet long. The closest he got was 13 yards and broadside. His coat was gorgeous especially with the sun shining on it. He would take 4 or 5 steps and check the wind. But he never winded me. It was a real treat to watch him. And amazing how an animal so big could make such little noise in the dry fall leaves. And of course I was in a hurry today and forgot my camera. Grrrrrrrrr.
Old 10-27-2014, 05:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

Neat! It's stuff like that that keeps you in the woods.

You know, of course, if you forget your camera forum rules require that you draw a crayon picture for your post.
Old 10-27-2014, 06:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

Semi made me do it.
Attached Thumbnails Not M: but what a night-crayon-bear-001.jpg  
Old 10-27-2014, 06:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

WOW! That bear is even bigger than I imagined.
Old 10-27-2014, 06:41 PM
Dominant Buck

That picture really tells the story. Big bear like that sure are intimidating. But they are fun to see.

The year I hunted bear at my house I was in a cloth ground blind. And in come a momma bear and two cubs. I was sitting there with a .54 Renegade loaded with a round ball. The cubs got within 5 yards of the blind and I had a no hands grip on my seat so tight, if I had to run it would have followed me. But Momma finally got enough to eat and walked off, calling her kids with her. I was never so glad to see a bear leave in my life.
Old 10-28-2014, 02:01 PM
Spike

I used to help a bear guide and learned they are very smart and interesting animals. My daughter shot a 400 lb. bear with a perfect white V on the neck. What a thrill for her and me both. It is so great when your kids have success!
Old 10-28-2014, 04:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
And amazing how an animal so big could make such little noise in the dry fall leaves. And of course I was in a hurry today and forgot my camera. Grrrrrrrrr.
bronko...

The encounters I've had with Black Bears while bow hunting or early ML season have been very similar so I'm amazed at the same thing. How an animal that big that looks as though they would naturally be awkward can be so stealthy...

Nice that you had an enjoyable hunt Bud!

BPS