Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Knight LK-93 and No Excuse Bullets question >

Knight LK-93 and No Excuse Bullets question

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Knight LK-93 and No Excuse Bullets question

Old 10-24-2014, 11:10 AM
Spike

Default Knight LK-93 and No Excuse Bullets question

I own an old .50, Knight LK-93.

I shoot 350gr Maxihunter with 100gr 2Fg Goex, #11 cap

This setup has worked decent for years. But I'm looking for better; it's simply not as tight at 100 yds as I'd like to be.

I live in Oregon - no scope, open ignition. My shots are generally 100-110 yards due to the open area I hunt in.

Does anyone have experience with an LK-93, 2F Goex, and No Excuse Bullets?
Old 10-24-2014, 11:20 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by dkaiser

This setup has worked decent for years. But I'm looking for better; it's simply not as tight at 100 yds as I'd like to be.

I live in Oregon - no scope, open ignition. My shots are generally 100-110 yards due to the open area I hunt in.

I have shot them. Not with Goex but with 777 2f. And only out to 50 yards. They did good. But my rifles are scoped. I have three of them actually.
Old 10-30-2014, 05:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

dave makes excellent bullets you should try some i use them in my whites and they are superb bullets.
Old 10-31-2014, 03:47 AM
Typical Buck

I've shot the 460 NE in a 1/28 Knight Disc with good accuracy. I believe I was in the range of 75-80 grains of T7 3F.

I would be quite confident that you could find a winning combo.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I can tell you I was never happy with maxihunters. My renegades would not shot them well. Maxiballs however were a completely different story. See if you can find some.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:38 PM
Spike

Yes I have three lk 93's I have found that because of the one in twenty eight twist and the short 22 inch barrel that it is a waste of time to go over a hundred grains of powder. I have further found if you will stay around 85 to 90 grains along with a good quality bullet your gun will group just fine. I like RS pistol powder or three f in the older plunger guns. I would stay with a 250 grain barns or a 240 grain XTP with a green crush rib sabot from harvester will really perform. I shoot 80 grains of 3F Swiss in my MK-85 and it shoots super tight groups. Good luck shoot straight, often and always shoot a knight
Old 11-25-2014, 04:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by dkaiser

Sounds like you prefer conicals in that Knight. In that case, with a desire to shoot heavy No Excuses, you need a more powerful powder than Goex FF.

I am a believer in FFF powders for all my muzzleloaders. I use either Schuetzen Black Powder or Triple Se7en synthetic, both in FFF variety. Schuetzen is a bit more powerful than Goex and the cleanest (in my opinion) of all real blacks.

But - but... but, to be honest, your rifle was designed for sabots. For 100-110 yard shots, you would benefit from a Hornady XTP bullet or Speer Gold Dot that expands very nicely at that distance.

Invest in a pack of Harvester green sabots (44 cal) and a bulk-box of Speer or Hornady 240 gr bullets and 80 grains of powder might be all you need in FFF. Certainly not more than 90-95 I'm guessing.

First and foremost, make sure you first rid those bore rifling grooves of built-up lead, when using / introducing sabots to it. A good cleaner using a wire brush will return that barrel to shooting sabots well.

There's a world of difference in how your right shoulder will feel, going from several shots of heavy No Excuses to shooting about 200 less grains of a saboted bullet. You will find your shooting time at the bench much more enjoyable and probably the end-result will be the same...... a downed harvested deer that travels little to none after your shot.

Good luck.

Last edited by Triple Se7en; 11-25-2014 at 04:05 AM.