Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
What will you shoot? >

What will you shoot?

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

What will you shoot?

Old 10-20-2014, 05:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'm not going to shoot a very small yearling doe
Oldsmellhound, if I had only two days to hunt there are two reasons I would not feel bad at all about shooting a yearling doe. First, they are mighty fine eating. Second, if you take out a yearling doe you've eliminated that one deer from next year's herd. If you shoot a mature doe you've eliminated two or three deer from next year's herd - her plus the one or two offspring she will produce in the Spring.
Old 10-20-2014, 05:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

My usual... hunt for a nice buck for my area, and shoot several does. About once every 5yrs I bump into a decent buck...but usually just take 2-3 slick heads. I used to shoot more deer myself, but now my kids chip in with a few each year.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

All I have left is a whitetail hunt. It's not going to be easy in mule deer country.

It's a special tag to get rid of the whitetails in mule deer areas. They don't want them crossbreeding. So, they give us from Nov 15 to Dec 30th instead of the normal 9 day deer hunt.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
Oldsmellhound, if I had only two days to hunt there are two reasons I would not feel bad at all about shooting a yearling doe. First, they are mighty fine eating. Second, if you take out a yearling doe you've eliminated that one deer from next year's herd. If you shoot a mature doe you've eliminated two or three deer from next year's herd - her plus the one or two offspring she will produce in the Spring.
Good point Semi. I guess it depends on how many deer I am seeing and how small the deer is. One of my hunting buddies shoots anything, regardless of the size, and I remember him dragging back a deer so small I thought it was a coyote. I would rather not shoot something THAT small.

Also, not to jinx myself (knock on wood), but we have a lot of deer on our land, and over the past several years I've always managed to take something medium-sized or larger even when only being able to hunt a couple days out of the year.

Last edited by oldsmellhound; 10-21-2014 at 09:05 AM.
Old 10-21-2014, 03:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

oldsmellhound, don't feel bad. I don't shoot the dinks either (anymore). I have a number of times in the past, but I guess I'm getting soft in my old age. I might feel different if I didn't have alot of numbers where I hunt, and was trying to get any deer. Personally, I prefer a bigger one... if I'm gonna do the work, it might as well give me some meat

My brother in law... now he picks out the littlest ones on purpose. I can't remember the last time he shot an adult doe on purpose
Old 10-21-2014, 04:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by WV Hunter
oldsmellhound,..My brother in law... now he picks out the littlest ones on purpose. I can't remember the last time he shot an adult doe on purpose
Why would that be?
Old 10-21-2014, 05:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
Why would that be?
Little ones smoke better...

Old 10-21-2014, 05:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

They have less meat too.
Old 10-22-2014, 02:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
They have less meat too.
Just kill another...

We have unlimited doe tags and up to 4 bucks a year!!!

Life is good!!!

I ended up with 3 last week...Freezer is full, also canned 14 pints so pantry is full as well...

Each State's Regulations tend to influence what we kill as well...
Old 10-22-2014, 02:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
Why would that be?
Ron, he's fond of how the tender young ones cook up... plus he likes the easy drag. Keep in mind, over here where I hunt, a fawn is probably only 40-60lbs dressed. One friend of ours calls em "Hoagies"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.