Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
New muzzleloader what to buy >

New muzzleloader what to buy

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New muzzleloader what to buy

Old 10-21-2014, 07:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by BarnesAddict
Buy one of these and throw the rest away

http://ultimatefirearms.com/
Yeah, but we have fish in our lakes.
Old 10-21-2014, 07:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Yeah, but we have fish in our lakes.
I've heard that.

When I moved after retirement, the locals here told me there wasn't any fish in the lake. Ok, I'm still living here. My best year yet has yielded me 486 walleye from "a lake with no fish"
Old 10-21-2014, 07:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

I tell everybody there's no elk in Colorado, but they don't believe me.
Old 10-21-2014, 04:02 PM
Spike

Default try a Knight Disc

All of he Knights that I have are minute of angel. It's hard to beat a gun that shoots less than a two inch group at 200 yards. I have found that bolt guns shoot better than break open actions. I spent thirty four years in LE and never saw a break open sniper rifle, Just saying. I would spend some time talking to people who own and shoot all types before I made my next purchase. Good luck
Old 10-21-2014, 04:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by DiscMan
...I spent thirty four years in LE and never saw a break open sniper rifle..
Well.. i don't know why, but that made me chuckle.
Old 10-21-2014, 05:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

All of he Knights that I have are minute of angel. It's hard to beat a gun that shoots less than a two inch group at 200 yards. I have found that bolt guns shoot better than break open actions. I spent thirty four years in LE and never saw a break open sniper rifle, Just saying. I would spend some time talking to people who own and shoot all types before I made my next purchase. Good luck
You need to talk to Carlos. He's an ex sniper, and you might be shocked at his 300yd targets shot with a CVA.

Maybe it's who's pulling the trigger that's more important than if it's a break open, or bolt action.
Old 10-21-2014, 05:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Let me add that I have no doubt that a bolt action is a more solid action for a sniper rifle.

However, that doesn't mean that a break action can't be very accurate. The average hunter, even if he's a great shot would probably not know the difference.
Old 10-21-2014, 05:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

My best 200yd group with my last Pro Hunter was .750" and it would shoot less than moa all day. However I agree that the best long range rifles are bolts.
Old 10-21-2014, 07:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

I can handle the recoil but iv got a bad right shoulder. So id say less recoil.
With my bad knee n hip i dont go any farther then i must but ill go miles if need be.
With movin back to ky i plan to go back to the spot i hunted 9 years ago. But i made a mistake went to a spot on dale hollow where it was dry cause of winter pool and i should have goin into the wood line on the creek. Shot distance prob less then 100 ysrds but maybe 200. To me the triumph has a range out to 250 and maybe farther. Ik i can put the round through it that far so its a must for any gun.
Im a big guy i can handle the gun weight. I like the breach open im not stuck on it.

I will look at the knights and the others. Though leaning toward the triumph and omega bdc scope again. It worked for me before why not now
Originally Posted by GregK4
This is always a fun topic.

I'll try to keep this as short as possible. Do you want a lightweight (more recoil & muzzle jump) or a heavier (recoil absorbing) gun. Do you have long walks in & out where a light weight gun is beneficial? Do you prefer break action or bolt action? Have you considered smokeless?

THE GUN THAT FITS YOU BEST WILL SHOOT THE BEST!!

I have become a recoil weenie & prefer a heavier gun. My 2 main guns are my CVA APEX & my Knight Mountaineer. I recently went to a Slufoot smokeless conversion for my APEX. Velocities are much higher & the cost of powder is MUCH less. Of course it's only gonna benefit you if you can legally use it where you hunt.

Break actions are typically much easier to clean than bolt styles. It's just the nature of the beast. I love my Knight but there are more nooks & crannies that are harder to reach & clean. It's not a major difference, just a difference.

Every manufacturer has problems & most relate to customer service. If you have an issue with a brand, post the question on the board asking who should I contact & someone will have the est info for you. With that said, I now stay away from TC. Since S&W bought them, they have shortened their line of guns & their customer service is typically very very bad.

My Knight had to go back twice for the same problem. If you're shooting BH209 in a break action CVA you either need the BH breech plug or need to modify your factory plug.

Lastly, is price. The CVA Optima V2 is an excellent rifle at just over 200, The Accura V2 is the next step up. Then you have the Accura MR & the APEX. The last 2 shoulder & fit the same. The MR is lighter & the APEX has interchangeable barrels & can go smokeless with the proper conversion.

Yes, I love my CVA's & think they are the best bang for the buck, but again, THE GUN THAT FITS YOU THE BEST WILL SHOOT THE BEST.

I would suggest you go to a shop & find what you like & the call Carlos at Ed's Gun Shop 910-692-7936. He will have the best price, be the most helpful, & set the gun up the way you want if you prefer.....including sighting it in. Good luck - Greg
Old 11-24-2014, 07:54 PM
Spike

I shoot the new Knight ultra lite at 6lbs with a 250 blood line bullet and a Harvester black crush rib sabot. I have taken deer out to 275 yards. Check my YouTube video Sniper Muzzleloaders by Knight rifles