Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
New muzzleloader what to buy >

New muzzleloader what to buy

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New muzzleloader what to buy

Old 10-20-2014, 01:46 PM
Spike

I would look at the new line of Knight rifles, the Ultra lite is a a bolt action 6lb hunting rifle that will get the job done
Old 10-20-2014, 03:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

bigtim6656

I have a 100 reasons I would recommend a ne Knight Ultra-Lite, but this thread might explain a few of them...

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/blac...ltra-lite.html

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/blac...ening-day.html

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/blac...ltra-lite.html
Old 10-20-2014, 04:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lots of good options out there... you would probably be well suited for another Triumph.

If it was me buying a new rifle, I would choose a Knight UltraLite. It just fits my hunting style and needs the best, and I love the quality and accuracy Knights have. Plus they're American made.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

I can verify that they work...

This is a forum member on MM. He got this in Colorado - wish it were I

Old 10-21-2014, 03:59 AM
Fork Horn

If you are interested in a break action the new Redemption has a lot to offer and is very easy to clean up. If you plan to use BH209 you will need to order the optional breech plug for loose powder. I' m very pleased with mine. If you prefer a bolt action, Knights new Ultra light or Mountaineer are great choices. Both are 100% American made and capable of MOA accuracy.
Old 10-21-2014, 05:02 AM
Spike

This is always a fun topic.

I'll try to keep this as short as possible. Do you want a lightweight (more recoil & muzzle jump) or a heavier (recoil absorbing) gun. Do you have long walks in & out where a light weight gun is beneficial? Do you prefer break action or bolt action? Have you considered smokeless?

THE GUN THAT FITS YOU BEST WILL SHOOT THE BEST!!

I have become a recoil weenie & prefer a heavier gun. My 2 main guns are my CVA APEX & my Knight Mountaineer. I recently went to a Slufoot smokeless conversion for my APEX. Velocities are much higher & the cost of powder is MUCH less. Of course it's only gonna benefit you if you can legally use it where you hunt.

Break actions are typically much easier to clean than bolt styles. It's just the nature of the beast. I love my Knight but there are more nooks & crannies that are harder to reach & clean. It's not a major difference, just a difference.

Every manufacturer has problems & most relate to customer service. If you have an issue with a brand, post the question on the board asking who should I contact & someone will have the est info for you. With that said, I now stay away from TC. Since S&W bought them, they have shortened their line of guns & their customer service is typically very very bad.

My Knight had to go back twice for the same problem. If you're shooting BH209 in a break action CVA you either need the BH breech plug or need to modify your factory plug.

Lastly, is price. The CVA Optima V2 is an excellent rifle at just over 200, The Accura V2 is the next step up. Then you have the Accura MR & the APEX. The last 2 shoulder & fit the same. The MR is lighter & the APEX has interchangeable barrels & can go smokeless with the proper conversion.

Yes, I love my CVA's & think they are the best bang for the buck, but again, THE GUN THAT FITS YOU THE BEST WILL SHOOT THE BEST.

I would suggest you go to a shop & find what you like & the call Carlos at Ed's Gun Shop 910-692-7936. He will have the best price, be the most helpful, & set the gun up the way you want if you prefer.....including sighting it in. Good luck - Greg
Old 10-21-2014, 05:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here lately i had been thinking about trying a new rifle. It seemed i needed something new to play with. Cabelas has the Optima, and the MR on sale, and i had a coupon for $20 off, and shipping to the store would have been free. Another rifle i thought i would try is the Knight ultra-lite. It seemed i would purchase and try one of these rifles. What i ended up with, is a set of tires for my hunting rig.
Old 10-21-2014, 06:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

That sounds familiar. Everytime I have some money saved up for a gun my Jeep needs something. My MR purchase turns into a Wolf purchase.
Old 10-21-2014, 06:44 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by pooldoc
If you are interested in a break action the new Redemption has a lot to offer and is very easy to clean up. If you plan to use BH209 you will need to order the optional breech plug for loose powder. I' m very pleased with mine. If you prefer a bolt action, Knights new Ultra light or Mountaineer are great choices. Both are 100% American made and capable of MOA accuracy.
Handled the Redemption yesterday. For me it seems to shoulder very similar to the Triumph!
Old 10-21-2014, 06:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Buy one of these and throw the rest away

http://ultimatefirearms.com/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.