Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
I'm new and need advice loading... >

I'm new and need advice loading...

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

I'm new and need advice loading...

Old 10-24-2014, 12:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you can't wack the FPB nose first, i'd give up on those. Your bore is too small for them.
Old 10-24-2014, 01:21 PM
Spike

shooting the 348 grn powerbelt at 100yds with 100grn of bh209 wasnt great... too many idiots at the range..... only took 3 shots.... moved rear site.. now shooting straight but not grouping well.. gonna drop down to 80 grains and see... any shooting tips would be great... the tru glow sites are pretty bright.. makes it hard to focus my tired eyes...
Old 10-24-2014, 03:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Less powder may help, and it's all you need with that bullet.

Can you normally group good at 100yds with open sights?
Old 10-28-2014, 05:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm really surprised you can't push them through the bore nose first. Your bore must be pretty tight.

Also, sounds like you are having issues seeing your sights and aligning them well. A peep style sight may help, and a scope would certainly help if you can use one.
Old 10-28-2014, 05:46 PM
Spike

thanks for all the advice guys...

unfortunately scopes are illegal in CO... I just ordered a rear peep with hopes it will help with seeing sigths better? we will see should be here next week? thought about a scope just to build the load up and maybe use it during rifle season for a cow? but my schedule is getting pretty tight for the 5 day 4th rifle tag?????

i can try again.. maybe lubing the barrel? when people run a lube patch down the barrel what sort of lube are they using ... i've bee loading powerbelts in a dry barrel with no problems... wont get to shoot until next week weather depending...
Old 10-29-2014, 03:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

A peep will definitely help, in comparison to regular iron sights.

If the FPBs truly won't go through nose first with just a LITTLE pressure, forget about them and try something else.
Old 10-29-2014, 07:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by brettb1972
thanks for all the advice guys...

unfortunately scopes are illegal in CO... I just ordered a rear peep with hopes it will help with seeing sigths better? we will see should be here next week? thought about a scope just to build the load up and maybe use it during rifle season for a cow? but my schedule is getting pretty tight for the 5 day 4th rifle tag?????

i can try again.. maybe lubing the barrel? when people run a lube patch down the barrel what sort of lube are they using ... i've bee loading powerbelts in a dry barrel with no problems... wont get to shoot until next week weather depending...
Nobody should be using lube on a load unless they're shooting a round ball.
Old 10-29-2014, 12:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Or a lead conical................
Old 10-29-2014, 12:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by UncleNorby
That is kinda what I was thinking. Personally, I'd rather shoot a good lead conical than a PB. (I assume you can shoot lead conicals out there?)

Hope you get her shooting good, whatever direction you go.
Old 10-29-2014, 12:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by UncleNorby
Trying to not confuse him since a Powerbelt is a lead conical, and he mentioned trying them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.