Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Any likely cause for accuracy issue? >

Any likely cause for accuracy issue?

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Any likely cause for accuracy issue?

Old 10-12-2014, 07:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

As an old Encore shooter I would have gotten a +1or +2 pivot pin from Bellm as soon as I noticed the groups opening up. It is the place to start.
Old 10-12-2014, 08:27 AM
Typical Buck

If the pivot pin I have is snug, and has to be "tapped" out could it still be an issue? I can feel no slop in the gun and the pin cannot be pushed out by hand, I have to use a plastic rod and a hammer.

I have to go out of town for work this week so it will likely be next week at the earliest that I can shoot it again.
Old 10-12-2014, 09:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by flyinlowe
If the pivot pin I have is snug, and has to be "tapped" out could it still be an issue? I can feel no slop in the gun and the pin cannot be pushed out by hand, I have to use a plastic rod and a hammer.

I have to go out of town for work this week so it will likely be next week at the earliest that I can shoot it again.
If the hinge pin it tight, there's no problem with the hinge.
Old 10-12-2014, 11:04 AM
Fork Horn

Time for some JB bore paste? Several posts online where it brought accuracy back.
Old 10-12-2014, 04:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

It is easy to check but you have to check the main frame separate from the barrel, It can be tight on the barrel mount and still have wore loose on the main frame I have seen one that had to be ream and a pin put in to match the reamer.
Old 10-12-2014, 05:09 PM
Typical Buck

That makes sense, I will try that. When I get back in town next week I will check the hinge and then take the scope of and test fire it with the open sites to see if it is the gun or the scope.
Old 10-13-2014, 03:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by flyinlowe
That makes sense, I will try that. When I get back in town next week I will check the hinge and then take the scope of and test fire it with the open sites to see if it is the gun or the scope.
Its a good idea but, most won't need reaming unless its really bad and in most cases then, you can actually feel the barrel movement in the frame. It would take near .006" of movement AT THE HINGE to throw bullets like you explained. That you should be able to feel at the end of the barrel. You stated that you've checked for "wobble" and found none. To be sure, check it again.

However.....................

Reading over your original post again, you dropped the charge 10grs and you adjusted the scope down 3" and it remained 5" high. That's a considerable amount of combined adjustments with no change in POI height, short of your left and right. Just dropping 10grs of propellant should drop your bullet 2"+ then you adjusted down for an additional 3" and the POI didn't follow.

If......... the scope is good, your POI should follow the adjustments (down) with the changes you made to the charge and scope adjustments, even if.... the hinge was loose or had significant play. Yet the POI didn't follow the drop in charge or scope adjustments and remained 5" high. No disrespect intended, but if you're a good shot and have a great rest, that POI should have changed with those adjustments and it didn't. Certainly evidence of a possible scope malfunction.

Although you did right by changing out the breech plug, in most cases just 100 rounds won't erode a flash hole enough to cause the accuracy issues you're experiencing. With my Encores I found somewhere after about 400 rounds, then I may see a slight change, as the flash hole would start to erode.

Pull the scope and shoot the irons to check your group. Even if its not dead zero, just shoot it to check how it groups. Chasing even iron sights wastes bullets and propellant, unless you intend to shoot iron. No disrespect intended again but, if you're a good shot with a great rest and the rifle will group to your satisfaction with the iron sights, then your issue may be identified.

Also...FYI... some rifles, not all, will not shoot to POA with a clean barrel. This debate has been going on for years, as some say their rifles will. But it is WELL KNOWN that many rifles will not. Some argue its the type of lubrication, while others state it doesn't matter what they use, it won't shoot to the same POI clean as fouled.
Old 10-13-2014, 05:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

One of the things I notice is the load reducing. If your load is at the right level reducing it allows the recoil to raise the barrel before the bullet exits, I have run into this several times and if the hinge is ok would suggest upping the load for a try to see if that helps lower the POI. If you are using old powder then get a new can and try it as some powders age and attract moisture.
Personally I switched too Blackhorn 209 when it came out; I had no end of trouble with 777 I live where we have high humidity most of the year on the downwind side of Greers Ferry lake and it just would not shoot good groups for me.
Also are you aware that from pellets to loose powder is not a direct comparison The pellets are equivalent to Pyrodex two 50 grain 777 pellets = 100 grains of Pyrodex and the barrel vibrations are also different.
When you switch to powder you will need to run the powder ladder to find out what the gun likes then sight in for it. At least I would expect that.

Last edited by lemoyne; 10-13-2014 at 05:20 AM.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:41 AM
Fork Horn

What is your routine between the shots? Swabbing, wet, dry, none, etc? How long between the shots?

Just a thought, but I want to eliminate cleaning routine & barrel heating up as possible factors. Especially when the first shot was where you wanted it.
Old 10-13-2014, 03:14 PM
Typical Buck

I swab three pre soaked wet patches then 3 dry patches between shots. Usually several minutes between shots for cleaning and reloading so I don't think heat is an issue. I used to be able to shoot a couple shots between cleanings. Last year I switched from 2 to 3 pellets and the crud ring was so bad I had to swab between each shot to be able to load.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.