Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
My son's first buck >

My son's first buck

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

My son's first buck

Old 10-05-2014, 01:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default My son's first buck

My son Jacob has put in for Moose tags for years. Since he puts in for moose he can't put in for a buck tag on the first draw. Well he has always drawn youth doe tags on the second draw. He has set out a couple years because of school and work, but we put in together on a hunt but didn't draw so we got our second choice. This was our first time we have both had tags and hunted together.
This hunt was new to me, and I have never been in the area at all so I decided that we would learn some new area. After finding out he would not get his days off he was told he could have we had two days to hunt. Well after a couple days scouting a few weeks ago I told him not to be picky, and I decided I would not shoot unless he was done. Jacob got this little spike buck on the first day and I shot a doe soon after to make sure we had plenty of time to get him back. This was my first doe in years, but it was Jacobs first buck. I was super happy for him he wanted this so bad.
I was relieved that he got a buck. I didn't care how big it was, I just knew how much it meant to him.
I learned a lot about the area in the two days scouting and two days hunting. I think I will try to get this tag next year and this time I hope we get more time but I will be very picky next time. I did end up seeing some good bucks after we were tagged out. The load was a paper patched Lee 500 S&W bullet with an over powder wad and 80 gr of pyrodex P. Ron

Old 10-05-2014, 02:44 AM
Fork Horn

Congrats! Nice photos.

That is going to be some excellent eating!
Old 10-05-2014, 03:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sure is nice the boy got to go. That's the kind of buck i hope i get this year.
Old 10-05-2014, 04:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

Way to go guys!
Old 10-05-2014, 06:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

idahoron & Jacob

Outstanding!!!
Old 10-05-2014, 06:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great hunt!! Looks like Jacob is a lefty too.
Old 10-05-2014, 07:09 AM
Fork Horn

Thumbs up Great hunt

It's great to see young men hunting.
Old 10-05-2014, 07:33 AM
Dominant Buck

excellent job! And them young bucks are such good eating. Congratulations to both of you.
Old 10-05-2014, 09:54 AM
Fork Horn

Congrats to your son Ron! The patched 500 s&w sounds like a wicked round. Guessing it exited , good expansion? Hopefully another year or so and I'll get to muzzle load again.
Old 10-05-2014, 10:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice job! Tell Jacob Congrats for me as well! Looks like the "Hot Rod Renegade" has scored again. BTW... how are those modified trigger guards working out for ya? By the looks of things, they work great for Jacob!

BPS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.