Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
CVA Optima - BlackHorn 209 -  Shockwaves >

CVA Optima - BlackHorn 209 - Shockwaves

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

CVA Optima - BlackHorn 209 - Shockwaves

Old 09-28-2014, 12:39 PM
Dominant Buck

Default CVA Optima - BlackHorn 209 - Shockwaves

There has been some discussion on the forum about the CVA Optima and BlackHorn 209. I thought by shooting mine I could kill a couple birds with one stone per say.

I have read of popping several primers prior to shooting to "fake foul" the barrel so the first shot is not off so much. In the past I will report that the first shot was usually out of the group. But following what I read, I popped 4 CCI Shotshell Primers before even loading the rifle. The rifle was swabbed to clear it of any oils, or grunge that might have accumulated PRIOR to the shooting of the four primers. I used Rusty Duck Black Off and then two dry patches.

I set the target out at 52 yards according to the range finder. The CVA Optima I own is not the V2 model. Although it does have the quick release breech plug, a Black Horn 209 breech plug, and a Stainless Steel Barrel. It also sports a 3-9x40mm Cabela's Powderhorn scope. As some remember these came on sale for dirt cheap. I purchased a number of them. And have had excellent luck with them. Anyway ... 52 yards Also this rifle is sighted in at 5 yards with 26 grain Scorpions.

It was 78 degrees, windy (enough to blow the sabots off the table) wind moving left to right across the target. And VERY SUNNY. Almost a glare sunny. The load was 100 grains of BlackHorn 209 measured by volume in a see through measure. The dark blue sabots 40/50. And the 200 grain BLEMISHED Shockwaves. I purchased these Shockwaves knowing they were listed as Blemished.

the first three shots... I can live with that. It looks like popping those four primers made a difference in the way the rifle shot. I will add, the CCI primers are FILTHY BEASTS. They really carbon up the joint. But if they caused that... give me filthy.

Since three shots don't tell me much. Or anyone wondering what kind of load the Optima might like... I shot off a total of seven shots at 52 yards. Then moved the target back to 94 yards for longer shooting.

To say I was not pleased with that seven shot group would be a lie. The A at the bottom was because I had moved the target back (to save walking) and then shot one round at 94 yards.

A-D other then C was a good group. By this time I was all walked out with my bad knee. But C kind of surprised me. This is a guess, as I really felt I did everything right off the bench. These are blemished bullets. Could this have been caused by such a factor. Has anyone else that purchased these blemished shockwaves found similar results? The slight shift to the right I am guessing is wind. As I mentioned it was windy. Very windy at times. So A,B, and D made a good group. C boggles the mind.

Calling it a day I went in the house and started cleaning the rifle. The easy out breech plug held true. With just fingers, I spun that out of the rifle. It was a BEAR to clean. The CCI primers really fouled the thing.

I think cleaning that took the greatest amount of time. It was all Q-tips and solvent work. But we got that done. The barrel came clean in two patches of Hoppies #9 solvent. And Birchwood Casey Barricade finished the job.

Over all it was a good day. The rifle never had a misfire. And the accuracy was exceptional for me. This I would call a good deer hunting load if what I read about the 200 grain Shockwave is true.
Old 09-28-2014, 01:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow, it seems you are getting a lot of blow by around the primer, judging by the amount of soot on outside of the breech plug. It may be you can reduce this blow by by using the longer W209 primers. However, even they may not be long enough to make a good seal. One would think you would get better accuracy if there is zero blow by.

Another option might be to use a metric o-ring 1mm thick with a 4.5mm ID, under the primers. McMaster-Carr is one place to purchase them, the product # is 9262K611, and they cost $2.85 per 100. It could be you won't be able to cock the hammer with the o-ring in place under the CCI primers. If so, it could be the shorter STS primers will allow the hammer to cocked when using the o-ring. One may have to lightly snap the action shut, so the hammer can be cocked. It is my understanding, Western Powders includes these o-ring with their breech plug.
Old 09-28-2014, 01:58 PM
Typical Buck

I think that would work well. As usual Dave exceptional shooting
Old 09-28-2014, 02:27 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
Wow, it seems you are getting a lot of blow by around the primer, judging by the amount of soot on outside of the breech plug. It may be you can reduce this blow by by using the longer W209 primers. However, even they may not be long enough to make a good seal. One would think you would get better accuracy if there is zero blow by.

Another option might be to use a metric o-ring 1mm thick with a 4.5mm ID, under the primers. McMaster-Carr is one place to purchase them, the product # is 9262K611, and they cost $2.85 per 100. It could be you won't be able to cock the hammer with the o-ring in place under the CCI primers. If so, it could be the shorter STS primers will allow the hammer to cocked when using the o-ring. One may have to lightly snap the action shut, so the hammer can be cocked. It is my understanding, Western Powders includes these o-ring with their breech plug.
I was hoping you'd help me here. As I too felt that was an unusual amount of "soot" on the back of that plug. Testing long ago I disovered I had misfires when I used the plain jane W209 Winchester. In fact it was this forum that warned me they were not hit enough so I went to the Remington STS and the CCI. Seeing that I am almost out of Black Horn I will just keep shooting for now. I think I will try Triple Seven next time. But I sure liked the 52 yard accuracy. And in my woods... that's a long shot.
Old 09-28-2014, 02:28 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Johnmorris
I think that would work well. As usual Dave exceptional shooting
thanks...

at least no deer showed up to ruin the shoot.
Old 09-28-2014, 03:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm far from familiar with the CVA breech plug, but if it were me, I'd be replacing it. If its giving that much blow back with BH, it'll probably do the same with T7.
Is there excess head space that may allow the pressure to push back the primer?
Old 09-28-2014, 04:11 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by BarnesAddict
I'm far from familiar with the CVA breech plug, but if it were me, I'd be replacing it. If its giving that much blow back with BH, it'll probably do the same with T7.
Is there excess head space that may allow the pressure to push back the primer?
I shoot a lot of rifles, but few modern inlines. So this is kind of new to me. I have a different breech plug for the rifle that Sabotloader helped make and I will try that next time. Is there head space? I really could not say. I agree with Ron, that it should not be making that kind of mess. I will try it with Remington STS primers next time. I would use the Winchester but had ignition problems with them and everyone told me they were not hot enough.

And the plug is basically new. It might have 75 shots through it... maybe 100.
Old 09-28-2014, 04:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Again, I'm not sure about the CVA rifles, but for the T/C rifles, you place shims behind the breech block. Shims can be purchased in many different thicknesses of SS or made yourself, if you have the stock.
Somewhere I read where CVA shooters shimmed to reduce head space.

For some reason, I can't upload or display a photo? Even tried using photobucket.....???

Last edited by BarnesAddict; 09-28-2014 at 04:24 PM.
Old 09-28-2014, 05:24 PM
Fork Horn

I use Winchester 209 primers in my CVA Apex, never a hang/mis fire. I shoot that rifle in very cold temps, last year during our late muzzy season, instant ignition.
Old 09-28-2014, 06:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Dave, CVA sells a kit of shims to control the headspace by shimming up the firing pin bushing. I have heard it mentioned by several people it might be worth looking into.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.