Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
CVA Optima - BlackHorn 209 -  Shockwaves >

CVA Optima - BlackHorn 209 - Shockwaves

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

CVA Optima - BlackHorn 209 - Shockwaves

Old 09-30-2014, 09:02 AM
Dominant Buck

I have no idea whether he thought this fix up or not. But if it works.. that is all I care about.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Busta is who pioneered the use of the o-ring under the primer. He helped me along the way. Before Western Powders started making the Blackhorn Breech Plug, they commissioned me to modify some of the CVA breech plugs for them. This allowed them to see the modified plugs with vent liners, and how they ignited Blackhorn. When i sent the modified plugs back to them, i included some o-ring, so they could see how nice they worked.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by cayugad
I have no idea whether he thought this fix up or not. But if it works.. that is all I care about.
They were mentioned in this thread that you should try by more than one poster.

Funny you should mention Jon who grabs the credit for a ton of stuff he never thought up.
Old 09-30-2014, 11:12 AM
Dominant Buck

Yes Muley I am aware that Ron also mentioned the O rings. And I thanked him of his knowledge. I just had not searched them yet. But Frontier Gander mentioned them also. I was not aware Busta pioneered the use of them, but it makes since as he is extremely knowledgeable in the muzzle loading field, as are many on the forum.

As for shimming, I had heard of that before but as I explained.. my rifle never need that. And actually I had kind of forgot about it. Something I tend to do from time to time. Of course, if I am willing to clean the breech plug of fouling, the way the rifle was shooting, that is not too bad. I can live with cleaning the breech plug also. And a fine hint of soaking the plug was mentioned.

I mentioned Frontier Gander as on another thread he gave me the same information as Ron. So its worth a try ... is it not? And I never said Jon was trying to "grab the credit" for it. He suggested it also. Same as Ron and others. I think we even have the problem of the rifle, figured out.
Old 09-30-2014, 11:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cayugad, I was at a pawn shop today. They had an Optima like yours; stainless, quick release breech plug, the action release is in front of the trigger guard and with a black thumbhole stock. It looked new but it was pre-owned and had been shot. Having a weakness for guns I ended up giving $140 for it, I thought that was probably a bargan. I don't need it, I have a stainless Wolf and an Investarms Hawken but one more won't hurt. From your post I gather that it is not the V2 but is an earlier version. I hope it is as accurate as yours. It does not have a scope so I will have to look around for something to put on it. Anyway, good shooting!
Old 10-01-2014, 05:53 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Jenks
Cayugad, I was at a pawn shop today. They had an Optima like yours; stainless, quick release breech plug, the action release is in front of the trigger guard and with a black thumbhole stock. It looked new but it was pre-owned and had been shot. Having a weakness for guns I ended up giving $140 for it, I thought that was probably a bargan. I don't need it, I have a stainless Wolf and an Investarms Hawken but one more won't hurt. From your post I gather that it is not the V2 but is an earlier version. I hope it is as accurate as yours. It does not have a scope so I will have to look around for something to put on it. Anyway, good shooting!
Yes that is the same gun as mine. They called it a Optima Magnum I believe. It is not the V2 as the breech release on them is at the bottom of the trigger guard I think. Other then that they are the same gun. You got a good deal on that IMO. I purchased that one piece base made by Dura Sight from CVA (when I purchased their CVA breech plug for BlackHorn 209). And it has been rock solid on the rifle. I threw a set of quick release rings on the scope but I have never had to take the scope off as this is one easy rifle to clean. And if your rifle is like mine you will find 90-100 grains of powder and about anything you want to shove down it. I was even shooting roundball out of mine one day with up to 70 grains of Black Powder and it did real well.
Old 10-01-2014, 06:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have one of those Dura Sight scope mounts on the Wolf and I like it. I will try to run another one down, the Optima has a rail someone had on it tho, I could just attach the mounts to that. It also has a front sight which I will remove. I have 777 pellets which I intend to use, both 50 and 60 grain. I have loads of Pyrodex RS loose powder too which I use in the Hawken. I pick it up today and will give it a good cleaning to start with. Thanks for the info.
Old 10-01-2014, 03:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cayugad, do you know what size drill bit I need to use on the stock Optima breech plug? The gun cleaned up well except for the flame channel which has some gunk in it. I tried the bit for the Wolf but it seemed to be a little too big. I am also going to have to get a wide thin bladed screw driver for the firing pin bushing, that slot is more narrow then the one on the Wolf. Other then getting those areas clean, it seems to be in good shape. I have a Blackhorn breech plug made by the powder company. Will that fit both the Optima and the Wolf? Probably a dumb question, but I don't know. Thanks.
Old 10-01-2014, 04:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

A 7/64" drill will get you by. A #32 drill will be better. The flame channel is 3mm, so a 3mm drill would be perfect. The Blackhorn plug should fit all newer CVA rifles.
Old 10-01-2014, 04:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thank you, Ron. I thought I had that all sorted out with the Wolf. I will get a 3MM next time I am at Menards.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.