Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
How long will Triple 7 last if stored dry? >

How long will Triple 7 last if stored dry?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

How long will Triple 7 last if stored dry?

Old 09-21-2014, 05:38 PM
Fork Horn

Default How long will Triple 7 last if stored dry?

I have pellets and powder that I have not used for about 3-4 years. It has been kept cool and dried. How long will it stay effective?
Old 09-21-2014, 05:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

More than 4 years if it was stored right. Not sure about the pellets though. They seem to absorb moisture more than the powder.
Old 09-21-2014, 05:58 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks. I live in Utah and its pretty dry most of the year.
Old 09-21-2014, 06:13 PM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by bdeather
Thanks. I live in Utah and its pretty dry most of the year.
I have dehydrated pellets in my food dehydrator and they worked great even though old , so if moisture is a possibility just dehydrate them .

Old 09-21-2014, 07:30 PM
Dominant Buck

I have some jugs of Triple Seven that are getting real old. Some of the unfired jugs are pushing three years. The main thing is keep the powder dry. If you open the jug and you see clumping, you might have some problems.
Old 09-22-2014, 04:15 AM
Typical Buck

Last week,i had wondered the same thing! I called Hodgdon powder company and ask that question. A fellow named Cody talked to me and said " As long as it is kept dry,it will stay good the same as black powder."
I bought a pound of it,i can't remember how long ago,but it has been years! I've had it stored in a dry place. I am going to use it this week to shoot an inline 50 cal and some sabots,for my son.
I guess i will find out?
Old 09-22-2014, 04:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

You'd have to chrono new powder, and the old powder to know for sure if it lost power. Just going bang isn't a good test.
Old 09-22-2014, 05:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

The main thing I would look out for is the pellets they do NOT seal out the moisture the jugs of granular do if the are still sealed or closed tight.
Old 09-22-2014, 05:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by lemoyne
The main thing I would look out for is the pellets they do NOT seal out the moisture the jugs of granular do if the are still sealed or closed tight.
I agree. I've never tried pellets, but i've seen the containers. If I shot pellets i'd put them in a ziplock baggy when they were new.

Just like my lunch.
Old 10-16-2014, 01:59 PM
Spike

Here's a great trick for preserving ANY powders or pellets.
You'll need a "FOOD SAVER" or other vacuum packing machine, but just put your powder or pellets in a roomy sleeve, and suck the air out and seal her up. No way any ambient moisture can get in.

Food Saver machines are awesome for storing more than just foods or meat for a loooooong time. Just found a packet of Oryx backstraps in the back of freezer from 2009. No freezer burn & still delicious!
Also a half used box of Pyrodex pellets from 2003. Took em out & fired em all. They worked perfectly... just like the Oryx steaks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.