Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
blackhorn powder and knight bighorn?? >

blackhorn powder and knight bighorn??

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

blackhorn powder and knight bighorn??

Old 09-15-2014, 06:08 PM
Spike

Default blackhorn powder and knight bighorn??

Hey my name is Tim and I just joined this forum. I live in central Iowa. I frequent qdma forum under the same user name.

Well I made the switch to blackhorn powder this summer. I shot yesterday and my first 10 shots were all over but still size of a paper plate at 100 yards. I would put one in bulleyes and then next high to the left. I started with a 100 grains in volume worked down to 95. I think I was rushing since guys were waiting to use the range. I'm using cci magnum primers and hornady sst 250 grain low drag sabot. Well those guys left and I had the range to myself. So i started with new target and 90 grains. I messed around with 95 and 93 grains. Those last 7 shots were tighter. But nothing like how my daughters cva wolf shoots. The one thing i forgot to do last cleaning was use a drill bit and torch tip tool to clean out breech plug. The one thing i did was still grease the breech plug. I read with the gun heating up that can effect the powder? Looking for any loads or tips? Thanks
Old 09-15-2014, 06:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by buckfever37
Hey my name is Tim and I just joined this forum. I live in central Iowa. I frequent qdma forum under the same user name.

Well I made the switch to blackhorn powder this summer. I shot yesterday and my first 10 shots were all over but still size of a paper plate at 100 yards. I would put one in bulleyes and then next high to the left. I started with a 100 grains in volume worked down to 95. I think I was rushing since guys were waiting to use the range. I'm using cci magnum primers and hornady sst 250 grain low drag sabot. Well those guys left and I had the range to myself. So i started with new target and 90 grains. I messed around with 95 and 93 grains. Those last 7 shots were tighter. But nothing like how my daughters cva wolf shoots. The one thing i forgot to do last cleaning was use a drill bit and torch tip tool to clean out breech plug. The one thing i did was still grease the breech plug. I read with the gun heating up that can effect the powder? Looking for any loads or tips? Thanks
You may continue to have problem with BH in a Big Horn. BH is not recommended to used in a 'plunger gun' because of the blow back pressure that BH can create. Your shots may continue to erractic because you will not maintain the same pressure each time you shoot. Gas escaping back out of the BP and will not always be the same. You also stand a very good chance of blowing the 209 primer out of the breech and back at you - especially if it comes apart into 3 pieces, the battery cup, the primer and the Anvil...

Shoot BH very carefully in an open breech gun.
Old 09-15-2014, 06:45 PM
Fork Horn

Sabot is wright I would not shoot BH209 in your gun just not safe.
Old 09-15-2014, 06:48 PM
Spike

Thanks, my gun has the full plastic jackets. First time I shot it I used 120 grains in volume and federal primer. it did blow up the primer. I switched to cci magnums and backed down to 100 grains in volume. Since I have backed down with the powder I haven't had any issues. When I fire it the bolt stays forward. I thought knights breech plugs were vented for less blowback?
Old 09-15-2014, 06:56 PM
Spike

My gun is rated for 150 grains of triple seven. Used 3 pellets for a few years. Thought it was almost equal in max charges? The red jackets usually turn black with triple seven. With blackhorn they are haven't been that dirty. I have read some reviews where people claim knight says it ok if using a lighter load.
Old 09-16-2014, 02:57 AM
Typical Buck

You should be able to shoot 2-3" or better groups with a scoped inline at 100 yards. If BH209 is not getting it done, I'd switch to T7. While some get away with shooting BH in plunger guns, it's not recommended.

If you're committed to BH209, it's time to start with other sabot and projectile combinations.
Old 09-16-2014, 03:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

My gun is rated for 150 grains of triple seven. Used 3 pellets for a few years. Thought it was almost equal in max charges? The red jackets usually turn black with triple seven. With blackhorn they are haven't been that dirty. I have read some reviews where people claim knight says it ok if using a lighter load.
I agree 100% also with sabotloader. For your safety and for others who may be around you, I would not be shooting BH from your plunger rifle.

Comparing propellants only goes just so far, then it becomes like comparing a 5oz firecracker to 5oz of C4. Each propellant has its own distinct properties, such as ignition, burn rates and pressures. Might I suggest that you contact the folks at Western (BH209) for their recommendations..........

www.blackhorn209.com
Old 09-16-2014, 06:42 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Josmund
You should be able to shoot 2-3" or better groups with a scoped inline at 100 yards. If BH209 is not getting it done, I'd switch to T7. While some get away with shooting BH in plunger guns, it's not recommended.

If you're committed to BH209, it's time to start with other sabot and projectile combinations.

Yes I would like to stick with it. My daughters cva shoots its amazing. I really don't want to have to buy 2 different powders. I have considered getting different sabots but staying with the hornady 250 sst low drag.

I will say I wont ever try shooting it at max load. When I shoot it sounds like I'm getting instant ignition.
Old 09-16-2014, 06:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yes I would like to stick with it. My daughters cva shoots its amazing. I really don't want to have to buy 2 different powders. I have considered getting different sabots but staying with the hornady 250 sst low drag.

I will say I wont ever try shooting it at max load. When I shoot it sounds like I'm getting instant ignition.
The difference is that the CVA is a closed breech.

The Breech Plug in a Big Horn is not designed for BH. And because the Red Plastic Jackets stretch each time they are shot you loose gas in the breech. The loss of gas will effect accuracy as well as velocity and energy.

The one thing you might be missing is that BH is truly a smokeless powder with some black powder ingredients added to the mix to qualify it for a BP substitute. It is really a 'progressive' burning powder - it does not produce the peak pressure that the other BP subs do but is does produce a longer sustained pressure spike which pushes the pressure back out of the breech of a plunger gun.

In most cases with a FPJ, Red Plastic Jacket, it might not ever be a huge safety problem because the jackets leak so much pressure, but I would suggest that you never shoot it with other people standing near you especially on your immediate right side.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:07 AM
Spike

these 2 taregts are from my knight. bottom target at 100 grains in volume. top 90-93 grains in volume.
blackhorn powder and knight bighorn??-shrub-pics-024.jpg

this is the cva wolf with improved breech plug
blackhorn powder and knight bighorn??-shrub-pics-025.jpg

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.