Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
blackhorn powder and knight bighorn?? >

blackhorn powder and knight bighorn??

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

blackhorn powder and knight bighorn??

Old 09-18-2014, 06:34 PM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by Semisane
Oh POOP! Here we go again.

Resist the temptation to feed the troll.
Feeding trolls is fun .

Old 09-18-2014, 06:46 PM
Fork Horn

I have a Knight Bighorn and have no trouble getting good groups. I have shot 777 and Goex 2f blackpowder. I have always used a No11Mag cap and never get a crud ring. Try 90 grains 777 2f and a 250sst or a 240XTP and if your gun is like mine you'll be shooting good groups with no crud ring. I also agree with another post, don't make this more complicated than it has to be.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by nchawkeye
You fellows sure go to a lot of trouble to shoot that stuff, I just don't get it, it's pricey and you have to modify your gun for it to work...

Why not just go smokeless, where legal or shoot real black powder or Pyrodex???
1-I buy BH209 cheaper then 777 here.
2- I can't stand the crud ring with 777 and swabbing between shots.
3- BH209 is more consistent then the smokeless powders I have used. Mainly N110, N120, 4759, and 5744.
4- I think every modern inline muzzleloader should have a breech plug with a 5/32 flame channel and a ventliner with every powder being used.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Grouse45
1-I buy BH209 cheaper then 777 here.
2- I can't stand the crud ring with 777 and swabbing between shots.
3- BH209 is more consistent then the smokeless powders I have used. Mainly N110, N120, 4759, and 5744.
4- I think every modern inline muzzleloader should have a breech plug with a 5/32 flame channel and a ventliner with every powder being used.
As I reading the thread I was going to suggest just shooting 80gr of BH. It would be plenty for deer if that's what he's hunting.

Then I read you suggesting 80gr, and it seemed to get ignored. I sort of lost patience after that.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
As I reading the thread I was going to suggest just shooting 80gr of BH. It would be plenty for deer if that's what he's hunting.

Then I read you suggesting 80gr, and it seemed to get ignored. I sort of lost patience after that.
I'm not a fan of plunger guns at all. I didn't feel that way until I started testing breech plugs in them. I learned in my own experiences that BH209 is the only powder I would use in one. But my max charge would be 80grns by volume with a 300grn bullet and 85 to 90 grains by volume with a 250grn bullet.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:46 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter

he said to use 80 grains in volume with a 300 grain bullet and 90 grains with a 250 grain bullet. I didn't ignore it as I said I was doing the 90 grains with 250 grain bullet. I don't see how you keep saying I ignored all of the advice! if you read some of my post from today I state I'm not going to chance it and also looking into buying a new muzzleloader.
Old 09-19-2014, 03:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

.... How did you manage to get those clean bores?
Umm.. well i didn't use a spit patch.
Old 09-19-2014, 05:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

1. I use real black powder, Goex or Swiss. I find it has the most reliable ignition and it is very consistent.
2. No crud ring with real black. The crud ring you get using 777 and #11 caps is much less than what you get with 209 primers so it is not much of a factor.
3. The difference between BH209 and other smokeless powders is not a factor when using plunger guns. Best not to use any of them.
4. The removable #11 nipples acts the same as a ventliner. It can be removed and replaced when the channel gets too large, unlike Knight's brazed in ventliner.
Old 09-19-2014, 06:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by buckfever37
he said to use 80 grains in volume with a 300 grain bullet and 90 grains with a 250 grain bullet. I didn't ignore it as I said I was doing the 90 grains with 250 grain bullet. I don't see how you keep saying I ignored all of the advice! if you read some of my post from today I state I'm not going to chance it and also looking into buying a new muzzleloader.
I'm not sure selling the gun was suggested, but that's your choice.

I had a Wolverine for a short time. I was warned to not shoot BH in it. I was only going to use 80gr. Instead I used T7 with #11 cap. I got no crud ring, but i'm not a fan of T7, so I switched to Pyrodex, because I wanted t use a 209 primer. Still no crud ring, and the gun was shooting small groups.

I started out using traditional guns and black powder. I tried modern muzzleloading for awhile with inlines, sub powders, and modern bullets. I was never happy with it all. Now i'm back to a sidelock, real BP, and lead bullets. I'm happy again.

What bothered me the most about your posts was how you didn't accept any advice you were getting. You kept coming back with......yeah, but Knight says.....

I was going to offer you some advice, but i like to read a whole thread first before posting. By the time I got through the thread I no longer felt like being gentle with my answer, and just gave you one that was honest and blunt. You didn't like that, and called me a jerk. I wasn't surprised.
Old 09-19-2014, 06:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
Umm.. well i didn't use a spit patch.
I see. I just learned something new. If you don't use spit. You're not swabbing.

Who knew?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.