Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
blackhorn powder and knight bighorn?? >

blackhorn powder and knight bighorn??

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

blackhorn powder and knight bighorn??

Old 09-16-2014, 10:37 AM
Spike

I just got the off the phone with knight rifles. They said I can shoot blackhorn powder with my rifle if I get there improved vented breech plug. They have been shooting blackhorn powder out of there rifles for 2.5 years. They redesigned there breech plug when blackhorn powder started becoming popular. I do understand some of your safety concerns but I really wonder if to much powder was used or older worn out rifles.

Where my bolt locks after the shot I don't see how anything could come out with proper powder charges. Has to be someone on here that has used this combo. I plan on ordering the vented plug and go from there.
Thanks
Old 09-16-2014, 11:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't make the assumption that those who used it were overcharging or using old or worn out rifles. Also I wouldn't marry myself to that powder just because you use it in your other rifle.
Using the full plastic jackets and low charges is the safest way to shoot the blackhorn in your plunger rifle but I still think there are better and safer choices. I am not familiar with their vented FPJ breech plug but I assume it vents some of the gases so you don't recock the rifle or have pieces of the 209 primer fly out at you. The vented breech plug is bound to give you a pretty dirty receiver and the residue in that area can be much more difficult to clean up than other powders. Just my two cents.
Good Luck,
Art

Last edited by flounder33; 09-16-2014 at 11:16 AM.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:38 AM
1874sharpsshooter

I like blackhorn, I shoot it in lots of guns. But I wouldn't shoot it in a plunger gun .The benefits don't outweigh the risks. But if you have your mind made up, then by all means go for it. Just remember you were warned.

Old 09-16-2014, 12:13 PM
Spike

They told the vented design is for less blowback. Plus they made the hole inside the plug bigger than there standard breech plugs. the vented plug has 40% longer life and drastically less blowback. Plus more time shooting and less time cleaning. My standard plug gets dirty as heck with triple 7. yes triple seven does shoot well in my gun. But I have only shot pellets. I'm not kind that wants a bunch of different powders around so I'm going to try this plug. she told me they have had No problems shooting blackhorn in there guns including bighorn. All of the new rifles come with the vented breech plug so people can use blackhorn. If I have to I will go back to triple 7 but I do like shooting many times at the range without swabbing.

Last edited by buckfever37; 09-16-2014 at 12:40 PM.
Old 09-16-2014, 12:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, there you go then.
Old 09-16-2014, 12:45 PM
Spike

Yes I been warned but feel confident since knight reps have shot blackhorn in all there guns. I'm not trying to be difficult though I have been known to be stubborn. I really like this gun but I'm at scheels to see what I could get for it on a trade. Pretty much curious but still plan on trying the vented breech plug.
Old 09-16-2014, 12:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

If your going to continue to use BH209 and the Knight Bighorn I would not exceed 80grns by volume with a 300grn bullet. With your 250grn bullet I would not exceed 90grns by volume.
Old 09-16-2014, 01:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Vented just means the plug has a vent liner brazed in place. It probably will have a flame channel 1/32" larger in diameter than the plug you now have. Me thinks that is probably the only real difference between it, and what you have. It probably will still be unwise to shoot Blackhorn in your rifle using this plug, according to all the 'old heads' that responded to your original post. Hopefully your being 'stubborn' won't get you, or someone close, hurt.

Myself, i own several different rifles, pistols, and revolvers. Most use different powders. Out in the reloading area, i believe there is 777, Blackhorn, Accurate 7, Accurate 9, 4350, 7828, 4831, 110, Urp, 150, 350, RL19, RL15, RL22, 4895, 231, 414, 335, Benchmark, CFE223, 540, 2015, and more.. i am not remembering..

Myself, i don't expect my guns to all shoot the same powder..
Old 09-16-2014, 01:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

You fellows sure make something simple complicated...

I shoot one powder in all my muzzleloaders, plus I sight in some of my hunting buddy's inlines as well, they include Knights, CVAs and T/Cs...

Never had a problem getting great groups...

KISS......
Old 09-16-2014, 01:22 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Grouse45
If your going to continue to use BH209 and the Knight Bighorn I would not exceed 80grns by volume with a 300grn bullet. With your 250grn bullet I would not exceed 90grns by volume.

That would be my plan with not exceeding 90 grains in volume with a 250 grain bullet. Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.