Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Lyman Great Plains Hunter Flintlock >

Lyman Great Plains Hunter Flintlock

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Lyman Great Plains Hunter Flintlock

Old 09-15-2014, 11:30 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Lyman Great Plains Hunter Flintlock

I have been playing with my Lyman Great Plains Hunter Flintlock trying to find the sabot/bullet combination it likes best. I know it shoots roundball. But it is a 1-32 twist. It should shoot sabots.

So today I wanted to shoot a flintlock. The target was still at 50 yards and I was fine with that. So I got set up and took three different sabot/bullet combinations out with me.

First up was the 300 grain Hornady XTP .452 in a crushed rib sabot. It loaded real easy. And I was shooting 80 grains of 2f black powder. But after shooting I can not say I was pleased with the accuracy. Now hit A was on a squeaky clean barrel. B-D were actually a group. And I think I could work on powder charges and make that sabot work for me. These loaded hard, and I was swabbing between shots.

I swabbed the rifle as clean as I could get it and then shot 1-4. These were 80 grains of 2f Schuetzen black powder a dark blue 40/50 sabot and the blemished 200 grain Shockwaves 40 caliber. For 50 yards and open sights I could live with that. These loaded so easy, I did not need a short starter. And I was swabbing between shots.

Last were the .40 caliber 200 grain Hornady XTP in the same dark blue sabots with the same powder charge. The stringing is a sign of either not enough or too much powder. I am guessing they want more powder. These loaded hard at first, but once in the barrel were easy to seat.

More testing is needed. But it was fun to shoot the flintlock.
Old 09-15-2014, 03:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

So.....what happened with that fancy new TVM flinter? Or is that too purdy to take out and get dirty? We haven't heard much about that lately.

BPS
Old 09-15-2014, 04:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

I guess I agree with you Cayugad. I wouldn't be happy with any of those groups at 50 yards. They would be OK for 100, but not 50.

And I agree that you really don't know which will shoot best until you vary the powder charges. There may be a "one hole" load there somewhere with one of more of those projectiles.

How does that barrel shoot full bore conicals?
Old 09-15-2014, 05:52 PM
Dominant Buck

So far I have not found it liking the large conicals. But I think I will try again but cut the charge way down.

The new flintlock I shoot all the time. Its a boring rifle. It just goes off fine with 90 grains of 2f BP and a roundball. I was shooting it last week in fact. But it is a PITA to clean as it does not come apart.
Old 09-15-2014, 06:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

But it is a PITA to clean as it does not come apart.
Yeah, long barrels and pinned stocks are no fun when you're trying to protect the stock and keep moisture out of the barrel channel.
Old 09-16-2014, 04:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Dave, 1 in 32 is a slower twist therefore it takes more velocity or a shorter bullet. I would try 90 grains and a 230 grain or 200 grain 45 bullet or a 155 grain 40 caliber.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
Yeah, long barrels and pinned stocks are no fun when you're trying to protect the stock and keep moisture out of the barrel channel.
Yea... that would be my biggest fear of owning a beautiful rifle like that, having water get trapped somewhere and not being able to get to it. I'm able to take everything I own apart and give them a thorough flush when done shooting and I've yet to find one of those "flush nipples" that's worth a crap.

BPS
Old 09-16-2014, 08:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cayugad
So far I have not found it liking the large conicals. But I think I will try again but cut the charge way down.
I'm kind of surprised at that. I always thought the GP hunter was designed to shoot lead conicals with that 1:32 twist, as Lyman states in their description...

http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/m...ins-hunter.php

BPS
Old 09-16-2014, 11:56 AM
Dominant Buck

I will give that a try Lee. I have some 195 grain Barnes around here somewhere. Maybe kick that up to 100 grains and see what happens.

Blackpowdersmoke... I purchased this for shooting conicals. I think its a matter of finding the right conical and the right powder charge.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:57 AM
Dominant Buck

Do you see the price they want for that rifle now? Wow! I have a gold mine on my walls.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.