Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
White M97 .451 with T-7 3f >

White M97 .451 with T-7 3f

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

White M97 .451 with T-7 3f

Old 09-14-2014, 12:31 PM
Dominant Buck

Default White M97 .451 with T-7 3f

I spoke to Ed on a PM and he said in his White Rifle, 65 grains of T-7 3f is very accurate with his bullets. So I decided to give them a try today. I was shooting my White M97 .451 with the 22 inch barrel and it sports a 2-7x32mm Bushnell 3200 Elite with firefly. I will say that shot 5 was very strange. Strange in that... NEVER in all the times I have shot this rifle did something ever cock back the hammer striker. And when #5 went off, it kicked pretty good. When I saw the rifle had cocked itself, I was kind of shocked. If that had not went high, it would have been a wonderful group. I was shooting 50 yards. I wanted to shoot further but took a tumble today and my knee was hurting bad to walk. So I hobbled around the back yard instead.

So I swabbed the bore of the White using alcohol. I even swabbed between shots. And this time I shot 65 grains of T-7 2f . I never walked down to check the order of the hits. But there are ten shots in that mess. I can see nine. So you can try to find them all.

For those curious, this is Ed's conical. It is slip fit in my bore but not as loose as the Bull Shop .451. With the BS the weight of the ramrod will seat the conical. Ed's are just a little tighter. I like them.

And I decided to be taboo today. Since Sabotloader always tells how well these White rifles shoot sabots... I decided to sin and shoot sabots. I had purchased a pack of blemished 200 grain .40 caliber shockwaves with the yellow nose. I had some MMP tan .45 caliber sabots. I swabbed between shots. And they loaded very SOLID. Getting them in the bore was a short starter push. Then a good steady push on the range rod to load them. Again, swabbed between shots. 50 yards. Took my time. Was shooting 110 grains of T-7 2f with a CCI Magnum #11 cap.

My POA was the crosshair in that circle. And I took my time. I had to admit... sabotloader, this thing shoots sabots too. I know I shot six times but when I emptied my pockets of bullets, I had three left. I took out ten. So there might be seven in that mess.

Over all a good day on the range. Back in the house to clean it. A cup of coffee, a couple Tylenol. And took my time cleaning the rifle. I want to try these 200 grain Shockwaves at some much longer distances. They show promise. And I think it was Lee that said they are a good deer load. So they would be for shooting across hay fields.
Old 09-14-2014, 01:33 PM
Typical Buck

Dave
You keep hurting your self you will need a gun rack on a walker
Old 09-14-2014, 02:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

Fine shooting there Cayugad. I wonder what kind of velocity you're getting with those big ol' 288 grain Bull Shops.

What's the weight of the Ed's bullets?
Old 09-14-2014, 02:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good shoot'n. Sabots huh? That suggestion was spot on
Old 09-14-2014, 02:56 PM
Dominant Buck

Semisane if I had to guess, I would think 1100 fps. I know that same load will penetrate 8 inches of solid poplar firewood. Those 200 grain saboted shockwaves really surprised me.
Old 09-14-2014, 07:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

cayugad

Dag gum! that is some really good shooten! See I told ya them Whites a wonder rifles - you always wonder what they will not shoot well...

That group of group of Shockwaves is really cool!
Old 09-14-2014, 10:27 PM
Typical Buck

Guys, attached are some pictures of the bullets I cast for my 451 M97 and M98 White ML's.

The first picture are the two bullets I currently cast. the Hollow Point is the Lyman 330gr HP Gould bullet, but with my mold the bullets come out weighing 350gr. The other bullet weighs 465gr and is from Accurate Molds (Great Service and High Quality mold maker).

The second picture is from another White shooter who purchased bullets from me. Both targets were shot at 75yds.

The last picture I could do no wrong that day with my M98. For some reason my M97 likes 65gr of 777-3F and my M98 likes 70grs. Go figure, but I feed them what they like. GRIN.

Last edited by edmehlig; 09-15-2014 at 03:37 AM.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:12 AM
Dominant Buck

Wow.. that is some excellent conical shooting. I never guessed they would be that fast. That squirrel rifle would really smack something good.
Old 09-16-2014, 06:03 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks Dave but believe me I don't do that every day. But itsnice to know when the planets and stars are aligned everything comes together. Also I use a 50 Cal felt wad with my loads of 70gr of 777-3F. Maybe that helps with the velocity?
Old 09-17-2014, 07:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

Wow, that's some good shooting.