Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Back in time a bit in the Rock Pit >

Back in time a bit in the Rock Pit

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Back in time a bit in the Rock Pit

Old 09-12-2014, 04:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Back in time a bit in the Rock Pit

It was a good morning to shoot and I needed the rec time. So, I grabbed the White Whitetail, 451 G Series... It was kinda a change of pace from what I have been shooting and really thought it would be fun to step back a bit...

Still do not feel comfortable shooting at the Farm... the wheat has been harvested but the stubble has not been plowed and we are tender dry around here. Terry was checking on her phone last night around 7:00 pm and the humidity was only 17%! Not much chance of moisture with that...

I was also a bit concerned that someone else might be shooting in the Pit, we are nearing hunting season here and the Pit is a popular place to sight-in this time of year. I was fortunate when I got there no-one-home, so I was able to set everything up and spend a couple hours just plinking.

We have all heard how well Whites shoot large lead conicals, but I would submit to you-all that every White that I have shot will shoot a sabot just as well as it does the full bore conicals.

I setup 6 birds on the wall for the first set. I can not remember the last time that I shot this rifle so I wasn't sure what to expect other than in my mind - I felt very confident it would be ready to go. I popped 3 caps to get a little bit of fouling in the bore and to make sure the #11 nipple was clear. For those that might not know. Doc White designed this breech plug with the nipple built into the BP. This really does help ignition as the powder sits right on the bottom of the nipple. Not a lot of wasted heat transfer heating metal before the hot gas is in and on the powder.

I set two different sets of birds out and really had a great relaxing time picking them off....

Not very exciting for many but really fun for me... here is a picture of todays happening...

Old 09-12-2014, 04:52 PM
Dominant Buck

I bet that was fun. We had frost this morning and they said 28šs tonight. I believe it, its cold here. And it rained again this afternoon. Its been a real wet summer and short!

I like the .451 I have. Mine is a model 97 Whitetail Hunter. I have never shot a conical out of it. I shot some conicals Ed sent me the week before last out of it. And I can't even describe how boring it was shooting them. They just kept punching the same hole shooting 80 grains of T-7 2f and that large lead. At 75 yards I shot a 2 inch group with my White. I decided a deer would not stand a chance with that squirrel rifle.

Your rifle looks like my Bison other then the fact my Bison does not have a stainless steel barrel.
Old 09-12-2014, 05:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by cayugad
I bet that was fun. We had frost this morning and they said 28šs tonight. I believe it, its cold here. And it rained again this afternoon. Its been a real wet summer and short!

I like the .451 I have. Mine is a model 97 Whitetail Hunter. I have never shot a conical out of it. I shot some conicals Ed sent me the week before last out of it. And I can't even describe how boring it was shooting them. They just kept punching the same hole shooting 80 grains of T-7 2f and that large lead. At 75 yards I shot a 2 inch group with my White. I decided a deer would not stand a chance with that squirrel rifle.

Your rifle looks like my Bison other then the fact my Bison does not have a stainless steel barrel.
Well, that is kinda the way I felt shooting today... there was zero problem hitting anything I aimed at but then again I really needed to have a good day just for my attitude. So probably the Whitetail was a good choice...

I think the Whitetail and the Bison are about the same rifle - I looked on Doc's site and got this information...

THIS WHITE BISON WAS BASED ON THE G-SERIES ACTION, SAME AS IN THE WHITETAIL, AND WAS PROBABLY THE MOST STABLE RIFLE THAT WHITE EVER PRODUCED. FEW OF THEM EVER COME BACK, PROBABLY BECAUSE OF THE STRAIGHT BULL BARREL. THEY ARE ALMOST ALWAYS SUPER ACCURATE. ODDLY, THEY WERE THE NEXT TO CHEAPEST RIFLE PRODUCED (the White-Lightning was the least expensive), AND WERE A REAL VALUE FOR THE MONEY. FEATURES ARE SIMILAR TO THE WHITE WHITETAIL EXCEPT FOR THE HEAVIER BARREL AND DOVETAILED SIGHTS. THE REAR SIGHT IS A WILLIAMS ADJUSTABLE, THE FRONT IS A BRASS BEAD. THERE AREN'T MANY AROUND AND WHITE MUZZLELOADING SEES ONLY A FEW.
Old 09-13-2014, 03:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not very exciting for many but really fun for me...
And that is what matters. Glad you had a good time!

Here in Phoenix it is still too hot - for me anyway - to go rifle shooting outdoors. By October the temps are in the mid to low 90s so it should not be too much longer until me and the Jaeger are burning charcoal.