Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
"Fixin' Wax" for metal protection? >

"Fixin' Wax" for metal protection?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

"Fixin' Wax" for metal protection?

Old 09-10-2014, 02:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default "Fixin' Wax" for metal protection?

Hello all. I am thinking of using "Fixin' Wax" as a metal protectant in my side locks.

The recipe:

1 cup beeswax
1/2 cup shea butter
1 tsp almond oil
1 tsp coconut oil
10 drops of pine essential oil

My thinking is to use warm water to clean out the barrel, dry with patching material and run a patch with the wax down the barrel to protect the metal. My concern is that the "fixin' wax" will have the same effect as Bore Butter - shudder!

Has anyone had experience with "Fixin' Wax" and would you recommend it as a metal protectant?

Thanks.
Old 09-10-2014, 03:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

Never had any experience with "fixin" wax. It's an unknown quantity and i would not use it. There are numerous products that protect the bore very well. After cleaning, the bores of my muzzleoaders are swabbed with a patch moist with a light oil. For long term storage i use Militec 1 on the bores and exposed metal. The exteriors of my antique guns and very seldom used guns are waxed with Renaissance wax.

My guns were left in safes for extended periods of time while i worked overseas. None ever rusted.
Old 09-10-2014, 05:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

why would you want to use a homemade recipe when there are so many proven metal preservatives on the market to protect your bore?
Old 09-10-2014, 05:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

why would you want to use a homemade recipe when there are so many proven metal preservatives on the market to protect your bore?
In the interest of being more traditional. However if it means I might end up with a rusty barrel or lock then I will not do it.
Old 09-10-2014, 05:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well...

I don't know about "Fixin' Wax", but for years there was a gun shop in a town near my home that was ran by an old fella that had his own blend of something similar that he simply called Ray's Gun Wax (his name was Ray) and I don't know if he actually developed the stuff, but he used it extensively in his shop and sold half pint jars of it to customers. It's kind of like a runny version of Vaseline but not as clear and it has no odor to it.
Now mind you... if you went into his shop you were free to handle any and all of the guns on the racks. He had little butter tubs with cloths oiled up with the stuff and it was common knowledge in his shop that if you picked a gun up and handled it, you dang sure better wipe it down before you put it back on the rack. I never saw a speck of rust on anything I ever handled there, but I never inquired as to whether he used it in the bores as well although he did tell me that it's good for both wood and metal.
I have a few jars of the stuff around and a little goes a long way. I keep a piece of soft cloth oiled up with it in a ziploc bag in my gun safe, in my hard case, and in my field box. The old fella died about 15 years ago or so but I think someone else is now making and selling the stuff locally.

BPS
Old 09-10-2014, 05:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Robert, that sounds very similar to Bore Butter which has caused some people a lot of trouble. Some have blamed it for corrosion problems, I used it but never had a corrosion problem but when it gets into the pores of the metal it is difficult to get it out.
I would recommend one of the synthetic gun oils. I took a number of bears and used bear grease for a few years and it worked out well. Barrier works well also as do a number of others as for me I will not put wax in my barrels again in any form.
Old 09-10-2014, 06:17 PM
Dominant Buck

If it has wax in it, I will use it to protect my truck's finish. As for my rifles... a good oil. But to each their own. If you feel the need to use it, so be it.
Old 09-10-2014, 06:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cayugad
If it has wax in it, I will use it to protect my truck's finish. As for my rifles... a good oil. But to each their own. If you feel the need to use it, so be it.
Dave,

The list of ingredients Robert has listed are mostly oils. The only wax he mentions is beeswax, which I doubt you'd rub on your truck. Forum member nchunter has mentioned in some of his past posts that he used sno-seal (which is mostly beeswax) for years in his flintlocks without any problems and I think he's been around flintlocks long enough that he wouldn't steer any of us wrong. Not to mention how many homemade concoctions for patch/bullet lubes I've seen on here and other forums in the past that called for beeswax... not paraffin.

So don't be quick to turn the man away from an idea if that's what he want's to try. After all, we're all here to be helpful as well as to learn. Personally, I would like to know how Robert's recipe for "Fixin' Wax" works out for him.

BPS

Last edited by Blackpowdersmoke; 09-10-2014 at 07:05 PM.
Old 09-10-2014, 06:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by lemoyne
Robert, that sounds very similar to Bore Butter which has caused some people a lot of trouble. Some have blamed it for corrosion problems, I used it but never had a corrosion problem but when it gets into the pores of the metal it is difficult to get it out.
I would recommend one of the synthetic gun oils. I took a number of bears and used bear grease for a few years and it worked out well. Barrier works well also as do a number of others as for me I will not put wax in my barrels again in any form.
Lemoyne,

Borebutter is vegetable based, and not made from animal fats or beeswax. I've read (and heard) many times that the reason it is NOT a good protectant for the bore is when people don't completely dry and remove all moisture from their barrel prior to applying it, it can cause problems. I personally don't use it as a bore protectant but there's absolutely nothing wrong with using Borebutter as a patch/bullet lube regardless of what the naysayers think.

BPS

Last edited by Blackpowdersmoke; 09-10-2014 at 07:04 PM.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:35 PM
Dominant Buck

I do not care what anyone uses to protect their rifles, as I stated. I don't want any wax product in My rifles. Been there, done that, moved on. It might actually be a good product. Just not for me. I liked wax on my truck, some bullet lubes, and in candles. But if you or someone else wants to make that product and use it, I have no problem with that. Post your results and I will read it. With all those oils, it might make a patch lube also. I don't know.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.