Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Canadian Hunt

Old 09-08-2014, 11:22 AM
Fork Horn

Default Canadian Hunt

Team,

I am going on a bear hunt to Canada and would like to take my Accura and BH209. My question is what issues am I going to have getting through customs with the rifle and BH209?

THANKS,
Hoosier
Old 09-08-2014, 12:24 PM
Spike

Default Canadian hunt

Google 'Firearms Users Visiting Canada'. This is an RCMP site listing what you can and can not bring, in respect to firearms. There is an application you need to acquire & fill out before you come. Do not sign it until you can be witnessed by a customs officer. There is a $25 CDN fee for the permit you will be issued. It is good for 6 months, but only for the firearms you list.
Your muzzle loader is not a restricted weapon so you can bring it with you. DO NOT bring hand guns, of any kind with you. TRUST ME on hand guns, you don't want or need the hassle. This is CANADA.
The site says you can bring a reasonable amount of ammunition with you, but I didn't specifically see any mention of black powder substitutes. If you are flying, you CAN NOT bring powder with you. It would be a good idea to have your outfitter have the proper powder on hand for when you get here.
Also, pay attention to the requirements for fire arm security-trigger locks etc.
If you have questions, there are contacts listed you can ask. Canada is a great place to visit, but where fire arms are involved, educate yourself to avoid unnecessary difficulties.
Paul

Have a great hunt, and we will need to see pictures.

Last edited by Moosehuntersupreme; 09-08-2014 at 12:27 PM.
Old 09-08-2014, 02:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...-eng.html#P012
Old 09-08-2014, 02:18 PM
Fork Horn

i shoot blackhorn 209 myself and can readily find it where muzzleloaders are sold. however, i agree that if your host is able to arrange it for you it will save the headache of providing the documentation necessary to buy propellant, ammunition or firearms here.
Old 09-10-2014, 05:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

I am going on a moose hunt in Newfoundland this fall and I wanted to take my ML but my outfitter said that shots may be long (over 200 yds) so I'll be taking my CF.
When I called Canadian Border Services they told me what form I needed to fill out and NOT to sign it until you present it to the border agent when declaring your firearm.
Also, do not take any assisted opening knife with you. They are restricted.