Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Bang a gong

Old 09-06-2014, 03:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Bang a gong

It started out this morning outstanding for a shooting day. Luke sent me my SST's and the trial Barnes 290's. I knurled 5 of them and planned on shooting those 5 and 5 smooth.

I got to the range and there was a couple guys shooting centerfires. They told me to go hang my targets as they were taking a break. I stapled two targets at 200yds and went back. We got to shooting the bull, then one of them asked me what I was shooting. When I told him a muzzleloader, they both gave me the "hairy eyeball". I asked them what was up with all the wind, as it was now blowing like crazy. My luck, they told me that it was completely calm until 8:30 then it went south. I walked back to get the gear and I knew they thought I was most likely nuts and probably shouldn't even own a firearm. Bang a gong. - Muzzleloaders

After getting all the gear at a bench, I brought out the Ultimate and I could see that everyone had their eyes on that rifle. I loaded it up and before firing, suggested that they make sure they had their hearing protection on. I sent that fouler. They came over wanting to look over the rifle and ask more questions. They were getting ready for a CF elk hunt in CO. The more we shot the breeze, I decided it wasn't a good day to try grouping with the Barnes.

Then one of the guys asked me, "Hey, do you see that orange gong down there a 300m? Can you hit that gong that far with that muzzleloader?"

I loaded the rifle back up, turned the turret to 325yds, then sent a round. As the smoke was coming back at me, I couldn't see crap but heard it hit the gong. One of them was watching through his spotting scope and seen it hit. He jumped up, threw his hat on the ground, walked around in circles a couple times and said, "Had I not seen that with my own eyes, I would have never believed it".

15mph sustained 360 degrees to bench, 24mph gusts

Old 09-06-2014, 05:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yee-HA! Did you mumble (just loud enough for them to hear) something like "the elevation is good, but it's a little more to the right than I expected".
Old 09-06-2014, 05:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
Yee-HA! Did you mumble (just loud enough for them to hear) something like "the elevation is good, but it's a little more to the right than I expected".
That's funny right there
Old 09-06-2014, 06:20 PM
Dominant Buck

What a way to open their eyes.. Good shooting!!
Old 09-06-2014, 07:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well i imagine you heard the smack on the gong loud, and clear through your hearing protection. Guessing you were shooting the SST. Good shooting!
Old 09-07-2014, 04:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
Well i imagine you heard the smack on the gong loud, and clear through your hearing protection. Guessing you were shooting the SST. Good shooting!
Yes I did hear it and was shooting the SST. I'll bet those guys are still talking while scratching their heads and wondering if they actually seen that happen.
Old 09-07-2014, 08:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

That is some mighty fine shooting right there! I had always though muzzle loaders were only good for 60 yards at the most.. But, I have read and heard a lot about them lately.. Congrats on that shot!!
Old 09-08-2014, 03:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Phil from Maine
That is some mighty fine shooting right there! I had always though muzzle loaders were only good for 60 yards at the most.. But, I have read and heard a lot about them lately.. Congrats on that shot!!
Thank you.

Its amazing how far muzzleloader technology has improved since my first rifle. Tony Knight took it to a whole new level with everyone else following. Today its not uncommon for out of the box muzzleloaders to shoot 1" or less at 100yds. Shooters themselves have taken it to a whole new level too.

My best 400yd target with my Ultimate Firearms rifle....

Old 09-12-2014, 02:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

WOW!!! That is really some shooting with a muzzle loader.. I would be very happy to get sighted in on 150 yard shots...