Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Nosler .429 240 grain >

Nosler .429 240 grain

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Nosler .429 240 grain

Old 09-03-2014, 12:10 PM
Spike

Default Nosler .429 240 grain

Have any of you used the nosler .429 240 grain hollow-point sporting handgun revolver bullet for deer/hog hunting? I have a 50 cal knight disc extreme and green mmp sabots to use with 90-95 grains of loose 777. I shot one deer last year using this bullet. It was a handload in a single shot 44 mag rifle and it seemed to do fine, so I was thinking that I would try using the same bullet this year for black powder hunts. If anyone has used them in a muzzleloader, I would be interested to hear how it turned out.
Old 09-03-2014, 12:36 PM
Dominant Buck

I have shot them on the range but never at an animal. Nosler used to sell 10 packs of different bullets and I used to try them. It was so long ago though, I don't even remember how well they shot.
Old 09-03-2014, 12:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

I've thought about those too Smokeblower, but have never given them a try.

Regarding the deer you took with them with the single shot;
How big was the deer?
Where did you hit it?
Did you get a pass through?
What was the wound channel like?
Old 09-03-2014, 03:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm sure they will do fine, the Hornady .429 XTP in 240 gr is a classic, the Nosler is certainly as good a bullet as the Hornady...
Old 09-03-2014, 05:06 PM
Fork Horn

I have used the Nosler 240 JSP, with 1oo grains of pyrudex select with a 3 piece T/C sabot. I shot it out of a .54 cal Renegade devasting out to100 yards, didn't use the hollow points I thought they would exand to fast with my powder charge. 1" groups at 100 yards.

Last edited by d.winsor; 09-03-2014 at 05:09 PM.
Old 09-04-2014, 10:57 AM
Spike

Semisane,

I happened to walk up on the deer and he and I spotted each other about the same time. He was facing me almost directly at about 70 yards and the bullet entered the chest cavity, traveled through the body and lodged in the hide on the offside just behind the ribs. He ran about 70-80 yards after the shot with an extreme blood trail. The bullet was pushed to around 1800 fps out of the 20 inch barrel. The bullet did separate some but was effective. I typically use 300 grain gold dots but have so many of these noslers that I hope they will be ok. I suspect the muzzleloader will be similar to the 44 mag rifle and a broad side shot would reduce the tracking. The gold dots have always punched completely through both sides of the hogs that were shot with them with large exit holes, but the hogs always ran a bit with them. The hogs that have been shot with other 240 grain bullets typically drop on the spot and the bullets rarely exit. I would like to try the 250 grain deep curl bullets but have about 200 of the noslers to go through first. In reality, they will probably perform about the same as the deep curl, but I have only shot the one deer with the nosler.
Old 09-04-2014, 01:14 PM
Fork Horn

smokeblower if you keep your shots at 100 yards and under I don't think you will have any problem with the Nosler bullet. With the 15% on T7 I'd say you are running the equivelent of a little over 100 grains. I have never shot T7, I used Pyrodex Select, from what I hear T7 has a little more mussel. After I get my deer round squared away I am going to try to develop a load for the Nosler 240 grain JSP in my Accura V2. Nosler 240 grain bullets are just fun to shoot.
Old 09-29-2014, 11:40 AM
Spike

Default Works fine!

Well it seems that the bullet along with 95 grains of 777 is plenty for South Georgia whitetails! A friend and I were able to attend an early season primative weapons hunt at one of our local public wildlife management areas and were both fortunate to kill a deer. I shot a 4 point with that combination in a Knight Disc Extreme at around 30 yards and he dropped right there. The bullet did not exit but there was a tremendous amount of internal damage. I'm thinking that I could lower the powder charge a bit and still have more than enough to kill the size deer we see here (this one weighed 90 pounds after field dressing him). Our terrain is typically very thick and most of our shots are around 40 yards or so. I just thought that I would give a quick report since I asked about this combo earlier.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks for the update Smokeblower. What was the location of the hit and angle of the shot on the 4-point?