Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Bullet selection for new setup? >

Bullet selection for new setup?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Bullet selection for new setup?

Old 09-01-2014, 02:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by duckslayer82
............ Also you stated you used 110 grains with that bullet. Is that a good hunting load to use or wld you say just for the range
The Barnes Expanders are devastating for 125 +/- yards on whitetails. They rapidly expand and a pass thru is normal.

The TMZ and T-EZ bullets are excellent 100yd and 200yd + bullets. They will retain 100% of their weight, short of the polymer tip. The TMZ is a boattail bullet, where the T-EZ is a flat base. Both the T-EZ and TMZ are available in 250grs and 290grs. Again, a pass thru is normal in most cases, with 100% expansion to velocities as low as 1,100fps. In my production rifles, I only shoot Barnes and nothing else, rather that be target or hunting. I've taken a boat load of whitetail at 200yds with the 250gr TMZ from a T/C. Many of the CVA rifles prefer the T-EZ, with its easier loading sabot.

With a Barnes bullet, there's no fragmenting and as the bullets are solid copper, no jacket to shed.

It may be elementary but, shot placement is always the key.
Old 09-01-2014, 03:18 PM
Fork Horn

One Other thing OP could check is this site: https://www.westernpowders.com/ It answers many questions that new BH 209 users have and also they have a site that gives you recommendations for bullets and velocities for 100 grains, 110 grains and 120 grains of powder.

Last edited by d.winsor; 09-01-2014 at 07:39 PM.
Old 09-01-2014, 04:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Many........ rifles and regardless of the manufacturer, shoot excellent with 110grs volume of BH209. For some reason it appears to be the "sweet spot" for that propellant in production rifles. There are some shooters/hunters that use the maximum 120gr volume charge, also with excellent accuracy, some rifles may like 100 or 105grs.

I personally shoot target with the identical bullet and load I hunt with. Because of cost, some may elect or be required to practice trigger time with cheaper bullets and lighter loads. That's ok, as it gives a shooter more trigger time. However.... for myself, I won't use a different setup for target or hunting.
Old 09-01-2014, 04:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

There are numerous good muzzleloader bullets on the market. Try several brands and take your pick.
Old 09-01-2014, 05:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by duckslayer82
...My question is what is the best .50cal bullet for whitetail. Shots will be 100 yards and closer...
A bullet that worked good in my Accura, is the 44 caliber 300g XTP. Since it is not 50 caliber it requires one to use a sabot in 50 caliber rifles. The Accura did best using the Harvester HA5044G sabot. Whether or not this is the 'best' bullet, is a matter of opinion. It is a sure deer killer for sure. It is accurate for sure. It is economical compared to some.
Old 09-01-2014, 06:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Oops, i forgot you wrote
..Shots will be 100 yards and closer...
If you are certain all your shots will be less than 100 yards, then a powder charge of 90g will be plenty. This lesser powder charge will bring less recoil, and thus be more pleasant to shoot. This load has been accurate in more than one of my rifles, and has killed more than one deer.
Old 09-02-2014, 02:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I am a fan of Speer gold dots 300gr. 451dia. For my 50cal.

I use the 300gr. HP gold dot 50cal in my 54 .

Al
Old 09-02-2014, 03:16 AM
Fork Horn

For my rifles, Barnes 250gr TEZ flat based all copper bullet with a Harvester smooth black sabot for 300gr or less. Use to only use the TMZ but making the switch over to the TEZ cause can buy them in bulk with no sabot and the Harvester sabot is more accurate in my rifles.

And their purdy when they expand
Old 09-02-2014, 04:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

I am going to be new at black powder hunting as I had just won one last night.. So my input may not really be that great. I had won a CVA Wolf ( 50 ) Caliber break down and reading on the loads for it I see what is stated as a new load. What I am looking at is the AEROLITE in the powerbelt line-up which is designed for standard loads of 80 - 100 grain equivalent.. has anyone tried these loads out?
Old 09-02-2014, 04:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

The AeroLite is a very fragile bullet at speed. Like most PBs, they probably shoot good but as far as a premium priced bullet you can buy a much better bullet.

If premium full bore bullets are more interesting to you, check out the Thors. They are a full bore copper conical. Similar in construction to Barnes. They can only be ordered directly from their website though. Get a free sizing pack then order the size that fits your bore.

Federal has a new copper full bore bullet out too that might be easier to get locally. http://www.federalpremium.com/produc...e_loading.aspx

Last edited by Gm54-120; 09-02-2014 at 05:20 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.