Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Flyers with the Elite >

Flyers with the Elite

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Flyers with the Elite

Old 08-31-2014, 03:08 AM
Typical Buck

Default Flyers with the Elite

My last two deer were taken with a 45 Cal Knight Disc Elite. I've had the gun for years. I've glass bed it and consider it a very good shooter. I can routinely shoot nice tight groups with 110 of BH209 and a 200 grain SST. However, I have never paid attention to the first shot. I don'y know why this has eluded me. I would often shoot some inexpensive 180 XTPs for warm ups.

Yesterday I was focused on the first shot. I cleaned the oil out of the barrel with an alcohol swab, shot 3 primers, dry swabbed, 2 more primers. ( this works on my 50 Extreme ).

The results were not good and may explain my poorly placed shot on the last two deer. Both deer were taken at 110- 125 yards.

It looks like I will be hunting on a fouled bore with the Elite from now on.

5" left at 100 yards is a big miss in my book. Shots 3,4,5 are were I'd expect it to be. I had it sighted in 2-3" high at 100.
Old 08-31-2014, 04:32 AM
Dominant Buck

wow that is some extreme clean bore fliers... if one was at the same target. And I agree 5 inches left is a big miss. I have two rifles that when they are dirty they are great. But you try and make them shoot clean, they will miss ever time. One is an old Traditions side lock. On round ball the clean bore is often 3 inches off. The other is a rather new LK-93. On a clean bore it is always 2 or more inches off. BUT I agree, 5 is extreme. I would foul that horse too...
Old 08-31-2014, 07:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you haven't seen this exact thing happen about 5 times, it is my opinion you should go back to the range with a cold clean rifle, and try it again. It very well may be you will notice 2 groups forming. Just saying it is possible. The first two shots may be a group, maybe not. It may turn out you can sight your rifle in for the first two shots from a clean barrel.

Yes i understand there are many that need to shoot more than two shots on a day of hunting, but it seems most of us don't.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:11 AM
Fork Horn

I shoot BH 209 also, if none of the above works, try cleaning between shots, one patch with something like hope's #9 elite both sides, then dry patch, then a light oil patch, I use slip 2000 Lube, it won't react with black powder oir BH 209, then a dry patch. Mine would not get rid of first shot flyiers until I did this. I assume you are cleaning the flash channel with a drill bit ever so many shots.

When I first started shooting BH 209 there were occasional flyiers, mostly when I took the gun out of the safe, the first shot was always off. I don't have a place to shoot a fouling shot before I deer hunt and don't like hunting with a fouled barrel, I also don't like leaving my gun loaded for any length of time with a fouled barrel. I tried many suggestions, I tried popping numerous caps before loading, using alchol and/or Hope's #9 Elite, to remove the oil before loading the first shot of the day. I tried using just Hope's #9 Elite to clean between shots, I tried not cleaning between shots. None of it worked, I always had the first shot of the day with a flyier with an occasional flyier.

Then I got thinking about it as It was always happening after I fully cleaned my gun to put it in the safe, the next time I got it out to shoot I always had the first shot flyier, no matter what I did, with nothing else to try, I tried the above between shot procedure. It worked. The only thing I don't do in the first shot procedure that I do at home, is use a wire brush on the barrel after putting the hope's #9 elite in the bore.

I don't know if this will be of any use to you, or even help you. It will be something to try when everything else failes. Good Luck.
Old 08-31-2014, 10:05 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
If you haven't seen this exact thing happen about 5 times, it is my opinion you should go back to the range with a cold clean rifle, and try it again. It very well may be you will notice 2 groups forming. Just saying it is possible. The first two shots may be a group, maybe not. It may turn out you can sight your rifle in for the first two shots from a clean barrel.

Yes i understand there are many that need to shoot more than two shots on a day of hunting, but it seems most of us don't.

Interesting idea. I'd sure like to find a way to get #1 to hit the same place all the time. Quite honestly, I don't care where shots 3 and up hit. I'll never need them.
Old 08-31-2014, 10:07 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by d.winsor
I shoot BH 209 also, if none of the above works, try cleaning between shots, one patch with something like hope's #9 elite both sides, then dry patch, then a light oil patch, I use slip 2000 Lube, it won't react with black powder oir BH 209, then a dry patch. Mine would not get rid of first shot flyiers until I did this. I assume you are cleaning the flash channel with a drill bit ever so many shots.

When I first started shooting BH 209 there were occasional flyiers, mostly when I took the gun out of the safe, the first shot was always off. I don't have a place to shoot a fouling shot before I deer hunt and don't like hunting with a fouled barrel, I also don't like leaving my gun loaded for any length of time with a fouled barrel. I tried many suggestions, I tried popping numerous caps before loading, using alchol and/or Hope's #9 Elite, to remove the oil before loading the first shot of the day. I tried using just Hope's #9 Elite to clean between shots, I tried not cleaning between shots. None of it worked, I always had the first shot of the day with a flyier with an occasional flyier.

Then I got thinking about it as It was always happening after I fully cleaned my gun to put it in the safe, the next time I got it out to shoot I always had the first shot flyier, no matter what I did, with nothing else to try, I tried the above between shot procedure. It worked. The only thing I don't do in the first shot procedure that I do at home, is use a wire brush on the barrel after putting the hope's #9 elite in the bore.

I don't know if this will be of any use to you, or even help you. It will be something to try when everything else failes. Good Luck.
Thanks DWindsor. That would be a last resort but an option non the less.