Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Black Powder Search >

Black Powder Search

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Black Powder Search

Old 08-24-2014, 10:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by ram2
Plus, the CVA's barrel is not undersized so you can load bullets much easier.
What you really mean is the CVA is oversize. I doubt the TC is less than .500. It is a .50 cal right?
Old 08-24-2014, 10:34 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Foxtrot13
I'm looking to buy a muzzleloader. I need some ideals on what brand to look into.
Some questions...

what is your budget?
are there hunting states you go to that have "special regulations"?
are there any kind of rifles that interest you?
what kind of shooting ranges might you encounter?
how many days/weeks a year do you intend to use it?
are you a target shooter?

Those would help in a recommendation of a rifle.
Old 08-24-2014, 10:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
Is Remington still only recommending pellets in that new $900+ Ultimate? I would suggest brands/models that leave that option flexible since we dont know where he is hunting. Pellets are not allowed in some states during ML seasons.
I've yet to see where Remington is recommending BH209, although RW is pretty hot about it. But it will shoot every other propellant, including 2f. Its my understanding that the SRP has been lowered to under 1K.

http://www.remington.com/pages/news-...zleloader.aspx

Last edited by BarnesAddict; 08-24-2014 at 10:59 AM.
Old 08-24-2014, 11:16 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by BarnesAddict
Put my Pro Hunter in one hand, a CVA in the other. Then check the difference in triggers, lockup and hammers. You'll put the CVA back down.

I'm going to give you a recommendation that's "out of the box" and much different than a common production muzzleloader. Go find one of the new Remington Ultimate muzzleloader rifles. Everything most know about muzzleloaders, is significantly different. Put a Leupold VX2 atop it with the CDS dial and show the CVA and T/C shooters what long range muzzleloading is about.
plenty of gunmakers have had issues with their firearms (cva included) so no offense intended as remington built the trustworthy 870 wingmaster shotguns my grandpa used to used waaaay back when. but as far as modern remingtons go, the less than sterling reputation with trigger issues and recalls go i'm really not going down that road until things are resolved.
Old 08-24-2014, 11:21 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
What you really mean is the CVA is oversize. I doubt the TC is less than .500. It is a .50 cal right?
I had a TC barrel which measured .48. A little small for a gun advertised as 50 caliber.
Old 08-24-2014, 11:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think you meant to use this link with the updated MSRP http://ultimatemuzzleloader.com/

I just noticed it does not appear to have a muzzle brake and it only mentions pellets. ATM i cant find a owners manual so what powders are recommended has yet to be clearly defined. The weight of 8.5lb though is listed. That would be a important thing to consider if your hunt involves a fair amount of walking.

My ULA fits my criteria far better and is quite capable of 300 yards and beyond. Of course its not for everyone at the suggested MSRP which you will pay without a discount.
Old 08-24-2014, 11:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by JohnnyHildo
plenty of gunmakers have had issues with their firearms (cva included) so no offense intended as remington built the trustworthy 870 wingmaster shotguns my grandpa used to used waaaay back when. but as far as modern remingtons go, the less than sterling reputation with trigger issues and recalls go i'm really not going down that road until things are resolved.
All that stuff with the XMark Pro trigger is actually very over rated. However with all the "sue happy" people, Remington had no choice but to recall them all. There were actually very few XMark Pro triggers that were affected. When the sealant was put over the sear adjustment, on a very few rifles some ran into and got onto the spring, which caused the rifle not to cock at all. It was something identified right off the bat with the rifle new if the owner had a problem. VERY few triggers had that problem.
Old 08-24-2014, 11:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
I think you meant to use this link with the updated MSRP http://ultimatemuzzleloader.com/

I just noticed it does not appear to have a muzzle brake and it only mentions pellets. ATM i cant find a owners manual so what powders are recommended has yet to be clearly defined. The weight of 8.5lb though is listed. That would be a important thing to consider if your hunt involves a fair amount of walking.

My ULA fits my criteria far better and is quite capable of 300 yards and beyond. Of course its not for everyone at the suggested MSRP which you will pay without a discount.
You're correct, I should have used that web address, as it gives the new SRP.

My T/C Pro Hunter with the Nikon Monarch III 2.5-10x50 mounted, weighs 9.1# Measured it multiple times with both the Wagner gage and the Lyman.
Old 08-24-2014, 12:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

This post looks like it's turning into another CVA vs Other post. I own Knight, CVA and T/C. My recommendation is to go to a shop that carries different brands, try them all for how they feel to you. Check the trigger for crispness and the overall ML for your personal preferences. Then you and only you decide on what to buy.
Old 08-24-2014, 01:10 PM
Fork Horn

Guys foxtrot 13 is a new member with one post, this might be his first muzzleloader he is looking for. I don't know if he is interested in super muzzleloaders, he is probably looking to get his feet wet. Unless he says otherwise I would just give him some reasonable suggestions. Also if he is just getting into Muzzleloading I doubt that he would want to pay the price for a super muzzleloader. That is probably something one has to work up to. If everyone gets to technical we might scare him off.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.